How do I fix this?

rizmah
Go to solution Solved by rizmah,

So I am hosting from 000webhost and when I goto my index.php it shows a blank white screen. I view the source of the screen and it said 

Fatal error:  Call to a member function fetchColumn() on a non-object in /home/*REMOVED*/public_html/staff/header.php on line 2

So I check this line of code and it's...

<title>  <?php echo $odb->query("SELECT `Tab` FROM `SiteConfig` LIMIT 1")->fetchColumn(0); ?> </title>

I don't know how to fix it? I am using phpmyadmin too and have siteconfig in there.

Thanks.

Most likely your query is failing. The error is telling you that the method fetchColumn() is trying to be executed against a non-object. In that line of code there is "$odb->query()" being used to execute a query and then "->fetchColumn(0)" is attempting to be executed against that result. If the query fails there is nothing for fetchColumn() to execute against.

You have no error handling in that code. IMO, you should never assume queries will pass. You should always include error handling to at least provide the user some feedback. Although you would never want to dump raw error messages to the user in a production environment, just do something such as "a problem occurred, please try again later". But, you can either check for those errors and log them or echo them out in a non-prod environment. I also don't think that running "code" within HTML is a good idea, makes maintainability more difficult.

<?php
    $result = $odb->query("SELECT `Tab` FROM `SiteConfig` LIMIT 1");
    if(!$result)
    {
        $title = "Unable to retrieve title";
        //Add additional error handling to get the real error info
    }
    else
    {
        $title = $result->fetchColumn(0);
    }
?>

<title><?php echo $title; ?></title>

Most likely your query is failing. The error is telling you that the method fetchColumn() is trying to be executed against a non-object. In that line of code there is "$odb->query()" being used to execute a query and then "->fetchColumn(0)" is attempting to be executed against that result. If the query fails there is nothing for fetchColumn() to execute against.

You have no error handling in that code. IMO, you should never assume queries will pass. You should always include error handling to at least provide the user some feedback. Although you would never want to dump raw error messages to the user in a production environment, just do something such as "a problem occurred, please try again later". But, you can either check for those errors and log them or echo them out in a non-prod environment. I also don't think that running "code" within HTML is a good idea, makes maintainability more difficult.

<?php
    $result = $odb->query("SELECT `Tab` FROM `SiteConfig` LIMIT 1");
    if(!$result)
    {
        $title = "Unable to retrieve title";
        //Add additional error handling to get the real error info
    }
    else
    {
        $title = $result->fetchColumn(0);
    }
?>

<title><?php echo $title; ?></title>

I didn't make this code, im editing to fit my needs.

I tried your code, still white screen.

P.S. I'm a newb.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.