Need To Style A Script But Have No Clue How

Major_Que

Howdy ya'll . . .

I am a new member here. My background with html & css is all self-taught, but I have no knowledge of PHP so I am here looking for some expert help with a problem I am having with a comments script that I have on some of the pages of my new website. So, because of my ignorance when it comes to PHP, please be gentle with me.   LOL

So here is my problem:

I am using the comments script from Script Mills in the sidebar of my website.

I have overcome the first big obstacle - got it installed and working. 

I posted a test comment and it worked, but I do not like the way the posted comment shows on the page.

I have searched all the script folders for a style sheet and can't find one. So my question is: how does one go about styling/changing the way the output of a script like this posts to the page?

If you need to see what I am talking about, the page http://pickmysmoker.com/cb_offset_smoker_1280.php and if it will help to understand what I am trying to do, feel free to post anything to the comment and see how it posts.

In particular, I would like to move the comments further down in the sidebar and utilize more of the sidebar area so that the comments take up more of the width.

I hope my question makes sense and there is someone here that can offer me some help/advice/guidenance in getting this squared away.

Thanks in advance . . .

How something appears on your site has nothing to do with PHP.

You need to use HTML/CSS to style the elements on your page. Looking at your sites source code the comments are contained within a div with the class of   .scm-usernotes . The Comment header is contained within a div with a class of   .scm-head   

Each comment post is contained within a div with a class of   .scm-note   and the body to each post is within a div with the class of    .scm-text

The Comments form elements are contained within a div with the class of   .scm-foot

If you cant find a stylesheet either create new one and append the reference to   <head></head>   or apply the styles to you existing stylesheet.

How something appears on your site has nothing to do with PHP.

You need to use HTML/CSS to style the elements on your page. Looking at your sites source code the comments are contained within a div with the class of   .scm-usernotes . The Comment header is contained within a div with a class of   .scm-head   

Each comment post is contained within a div with a class of   .scm-note   and the body to each post is within a div with the class of    .scm-text

The Comments form elements are contained within a div with the class of   .scm-foot

If you cant find a stylesheet either create new one and append the reference to   <head></head>   or apply the styles to you existing stylesheet.

Thanks Ch0cu3r . . .

I had no idea that this script created its own styling elements and it never occurred to me to check the page source.

I have done that and am now trying to see if I can get it display the way I want.

Cheers . . .

Okay . . . here is an update.

This script produces the css AFTER a comment is entered and plugs it into the page. Taking that particular code and adding it to the page itself renders the script useless and comments do not get posted.

Being a complete idiot when it comes to this kind of thing, is there any chance that someone can tell me where or how I can get access to and be able to modify whatever file is creating the styling code so I can change it?

Thanks

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://pickmysmoker.com/style.css" media="screen" />
<style type="text/css">

#maincontainer{height: 1435px;}

#content{padding: 0 20px 10px 20px;}

h4{padding-top: 20px;}

.article{font-size: 16px;}

#sidebar{margin: -1070px 0 0 630px;}

#review-text{
font-size: 14px;
font-style: italic;
}

</style>

That is part of the page source of your website.  There is some styling in a file called style.css and there is what is wrapped in the <style></style> that I also posted

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://pickmysmoker.com/style.css" media="screen" />
<style type="text/css">

#maincontainer{height: 1435px;}

#content{padding: 0 20px 10px 20px;}

h4{padding-top: 20px;}

.article{font-size: 16px;}

#sidebar{margin: -1070px 0 0 630px;}

#review-text{
font-size: 14px;
font-style: italic;
}

</style>

That is part of the page source of your website.  There is some styling in a file called style.css and there is what is wrapped in the <style></style> that I also posted

Thank you for your input SocialCloud. The style.css file is the file I created when building the page/site originally. The problem I am experiencing is that with the comments script I am using, the script generates some additional styling that it then plugs into the page where the script is being used. With that in mind, using the page source shows the additional styling and html that the script writes to the page and I have no clue as to where to go or what to look for in order to modify things so that I can change the scripts styling.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.