Making images / backing up / FTP

greenace92

Not sure if this is the correct subsection, I CTRL + F'd the first page and didn't see FTP 

I'm interested in backing up data, I'm building a social media type website and I need to back up data. I don't have a lot of money at the moment so I would like to back up to my own computer/external hard drive... doesn't seem smart I guess but it is a solution for now 

I currently use linux / have apache on my local machine but on my hosting service provider they use Apache as well

Their backup options seem "word for dumb" and I can't have that, imagine how much data would be lost if it didn't back up within minutes rather than 10 days or some stupid figure like that... 

I mean... maybe I'm missing something, how else would it be done? 

I expect the site to have life pretty much at every passing moment of time and if the site goes down for even 5 minutes... how many megabytes of data or more did I just lose? 

Anyway, my laptop/external hard drive seems dumb but it is relative to  my situation as I am currently testing out my ventures with a shared VPS (as in 3 different domains pointing to that website) and the space I have is 90 GB, between my external hard drive and laptop I have more than that.

I suppose I should "trust" in the professionalism of my service provider but the fact that their back up system is literally like every 10 days and I have to pay $150 to retrieve my data... I don't even understand the pricing on that... what is the difference if they backed up terabytes as opposed to petabytes, is it still the same $150.00? 

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help, or I'll just search elsewhere later on when this topic becomes relevant again 

(hmm I don't present myself well I realize that) 

I mean... maybe I'm missing something, how else would it be done?

I expect the site to have life pretty much at every passing moment of time and if the site goes down for even 5 minutes... how many megabytes of data or more did I just lose?

If the site went down how would anyone add something new?

Your host most likely offers a full server backup, can be snapshots of the server os, all your data plus configurations

Sure you would lose some every 10 days, unless did something like replication or mirroring which would certainly cost you more money than now.

You could manually or write a script to just copy your mysql/data files more often.

If you made any file or script changes to the site copy those when you do it.

You could focus more on not losing it all for right now if don't have the money.

If you wanted to copy your site.

You should take note of your hosts traffic usage because when you download it will be using it up.

Use FTP for files and either through your panel or directly in phpmyadmin export your database

Copy all your files in your http/www folder and save locally

Export your database or can copy the mysql/data files directly and save

I use filezilla for ftp.

Thank you very much for your thorough response 

It is kind of bad in a way to just "extract" information arbitrarily, you are a person, you have a background, etc...

I'm just sucking knowledge out of random places to make something it seems bad 

Again, thank you, hopefully all of this will culminate into some workable tangible piece of code or collection of highs and lows 

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose I should "trust" in the professionalism of my service provider

Never, ever, trust a host for backups. Pretend they don;t have one at all.

You may need/want R1Soft.

A good hosted solution that I use is from R1SoftLicenses.com -- self-hosting it isn't fun at all.

And, as always, who is the host? We may be able to tell you if they're trustworthy or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know... I have this thought that GoDaddy's services are designed to make most people need their extra $80 to $150 dollars of "fully managed support" where they fix the problems they initially caused

Although again, this could just be excuse on my short coming

Why isnt' MySqli initially loaded? I don't know...

Why do they not tell you that you can't use dynamic IP addresses when accessing cPanel/WHM otherwise you are kicked out... Solution? Whitelist your outgoing IP address in WHM

OpenSSL doesn't work either

I don't know... but the 24/7 service is nice and refunds happen in some occasions like the 48 hour window 

I'm pretty happy with their services at the moment, ideally in the future when I am not in my current situation / have succeeded, I'd like to build my own server farm

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.