Apache and Xampp loading error

Butterbean

I am working from my home computer using windows 8.1.  I downloaded Xampp, installed notepad++ and created a simple echo statement using PHP.  I then placed the statment into the htdocs file.  Then I went to my browser and entered the path as localhost:81/invoice.php  (I used 81 because 80 is used for another application).  I also changed all of the locations where it defaulted to 80 (using the find function, so I know I covered them all).  I still recieved this message below.  I know they are seeing each other for two reasons.. 1.  I get another error message when I make up a fake file path in localhost folder.  2.  The error is a 404.    Also, I can see Xampp dashboard at localhost:81/xampp.  I am stumped.  Could it be my security settings or the fact that I am on a home server?  Also, could it be problem with having mysql and microsoft sql server 2008 R2 on the same machine?  Any help would be awesome.  Also, yes my Xampp is started up (Apache and Mysql).   Thanks.

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404 localhost
Apache/2.4.10 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.1i PHP/5.6.3

Edited by Butterbean

Did you do this?

Find location of xampp-control.exe. It should be in the root of your installation directory.

Create a file "XAMPP.ini" in that directory (so that XAMPP.ini and xampp-control.exe are in same directory)

Put following in the XAMPP.INI file:

[PORTS]
apache = 81

I went into xampp control....configuration. ..then went into the appache configuration file and editEd all places where it read 80 to read 81.

Make sure you have restarted the Apache service after you had made changes to its configuration

I used 81 because 80 is used for another application)

Is the other application Skype? You can tell it not to use port 80 within the options menu.

Also, does it matter that I have a dynamic ip even though I'm working on a local host?

No. This will only be a problem if you are going to accessing your localhost site remotely (In other words hosting your website from your computer).

Port 80 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!

Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port

This is the error I get, but I am able to stat Apache after i receive the error.

Separately, I noticed this version of XAMPP is for 32 bit.. My system is 64 bit.  Guess maybe that is the problem.  Any suggestions?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.