How do I use SMART tools to check on my notebooks hard drive?

Maze

hello dear php-experts good day  

well at the moment i try to figure out how to test the healthy of my harddrive.

How do I use SMART tools to check on my notebooks  hard drive? That is the question of the day for me. i want to run a SMART-Test on my notebook to test the harddrive.

i have opensuse 13.1 on the machine: and the SMART-Tools are installed.

SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) is a technology included in most hard drives today.

Short test: According to the documentation, this command can be given during normal system operation (unless run in captive mode).

i can run the test: 

smartctl --test=short /dev/sda1

see here what happens:  

martin@linux-70ce:~> su
	Passwort:
	linux-70ce:/home/martin # smartctl --test=short /dev/sda1
	smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [i686-linux-3.11.10-25-desktop] (SUSE RPM)
	Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
	Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode".
	Drive command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.
	Testing has begun.
	Please wait 2 minutes for test to complete.
	Test will complete after Tue Jan 20 00:29:16 2015

Use smartctl -X to abort test.
	linux-70ce:/home/martin #

hmm - this seems to be a short (quick ) test. But i have to wait to see the results. Question: do they come to the terminal - are they are shown in the terminal?

btw: i also can run the Long Test:

The long test can also be run on a live system, and will do a lot deeper testing on the device, however it will take significantly longer to finish.

smartctl --test=long /dev/sda smartctl

well - how can i run tests on all the partitions:  is this possible to do this with only one single step?

cfdisk (util-linux 2.23.2)

Festplatte: /dev/sda
	                                                                       GrM-CM-6M-C~_e: 320072933376 Bytes, 320,0 GB
	                                                               KM-CM-6pfe: 255   Sektoren pro Spur: 63   Zylinder: 38913

Name                       Flags                     Part. Typ              Dateisystemtyp                       [Bezeichner]                    GrM-CM-6M-C~_e (MB)
	 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	                                                               PrimM-CM-$re          Freier Bereich                                                           164,63               *
	         sda4                                                  PrimM-CM-$re          LVM2_member                                                             1990,20               *
	         sda2                                                  PrimM-CM-$re          LVM2_member                                                            21475,89               *
	         sda5                       NC                         Logische              swap                                                                    2155,88               *
	         sda6                       NC                         Logische              ext4                                                                   21475,89               *
	         sda7                       NC                         Logische              ext4                                                                  272799,63               *
	                                                               Pri/Log               Freier Bereich                                                            10,84               *

but what can i do if i want to Get it all:

there are options to do that - getting it all:

The next and last command will output all the information the drive can possibly give. In the response below I have selectively removed a lot of output because there is a lot information to go through. My main point is the command and something I will get to in just a second.

smartctl -a /dev/sda Device Mode

since the harddrive has differnet partitions - the question arises: how to test all at once?

question: which way to get the drive  tested in one single step

are there options to do that - getting it all in a single command.

look forward to any and all hints and help

greetings

hello dear requinix

SMART tests the disk itself. It has nothing to do with partitions.

many many thanks for the reply -great to hear from you!!

well i do not know how to understand the mentioned issues. but i found some more infos.

with that i think that i am able to run the SMART-Tools in the  System

well according the manual i found here i am pretty sure that this works for ubuntu:

The Beginner?s Guide to Linux Disk Utilities

Most modern ATA and SCSI hard disks have a Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) system. SMART hard disks internally monitor their own health and performance.

The SMART tool assesses the condition of your hard disk based on: the throughput of the hard disk, the seek errors rate of the magnetic heads, and other attributes that your hard disk manufacturer built into their hard disk.

Most implementations of SMART systems allow users to perform self-tests to monitor the performance and reliability of their hard disks. The simplest way to perform a SMART system test with Ubuntu is using the ‘Disk Utility’ under the ‘System’ > ‘Administration’ menu.

again - see here the link  The Beginner?s Guide to Linux Disk Utilities

well - i am pretty impressed. the tools look impessive; for sure!

i want to use them - do you think that i am able to do so!?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.