How do you recruit developers?

Korferer

This isn't really a "programming question", I'd just like some advice really.

I have been asked to write a paper by my boss on how we can go about recruiting for our developer roles people who (most likely) are not developers and will not have had any development experience of any kind.

The reason for this, is that we have an external recruitment ban within our organisation (which sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it). We have about 20 developer jobs within our team. I work for a government organisation that has thousands of jobs for various purposes such as Finance, Statistics, Contracts - I'm not really sure what else, it's such a massive organisation - but nearly all the IT is outsourced to contractors apart from our little team.

Any recruitment we do, they must already be a civil servant. So if they happen to love a bit of web development in their spare time then fantastic, but realistically, they probably won't. So how do you identify if they "have what it takes" to become a developer? Are there any official aptitude tests they can take that will show they are of the right mindset - ha - is there even a right mindset?!

Other areas of our organisation use MS Excel a lot. Maybe there is some way of testing their VBA ability which would determine if they'd make a kick-ass programer or not??

I am open to all ideas here!!!

Wow, that's going to be a challenge. Heck, even hiring a "developer" who supposedly has those skills can be a challenge. Resumes and interviews only provide so much. Using an assessment or review of their code is usually the best indicator of their aptitude. So, if you're dealing with people with no prior experience, those aren't really an option.

I would start with anyone who has "some" experience - even if it is just doing a personal web page. I would also look for anyone who has a degree in a STEM field. If they do have such a degree, get details on their GPA - at least with respect to their core classes. If they have a tech degree and are not in a tech position, there is a good chance they don't really have the skills needed to be successful in that type of role.

Aside from that, look for people that are at least "technical". Do they like to use new technology and find new uses for it? Ask what apps they use on their phone and how they use them. Hopefully they aren't using a flip-phone! Lastly, you could consider a basic logic test.

I would also look for anyone who has a degree in a STEM field. If they do have such a degree, get details on their GPA - at least with respect to their core classes. If they have a tech degree and are not in a tech position, there is a good chance they don't really have the skills needed to be successful in that type of role.

I would be amazed if they had any degree. Generally, people who get promoted (or even sideways move) in this organisation, at the "entry level" programmer position would not have a degree! And if they did have a degree, then they are probably more interested in becoming Stats, or Finance as it's super easy to get promoted. But, that is a really good suggestion, so thanks!

Do they like to use new technology and find new uses for it? Ask what apps they use on their phone and how they use them. Hopefully they aren't using a flip-phone! Lastly, you could consider a basic logic test.

I hear what you're saying, and funnily enough, a lot of people in my team are still on flip-phones as they are "concerned" with online security! haha. What about general electrician skills? If they can re-wire a plug/lamp, would you consider that a transferable skill?

This is not going to be fun - at all! 

What about general electrician skills? If they can re-wire a plug/lamp, would you consider that a transferable skill?

For just rewiring a basic lamp, plug, switch? No. It is an exceeding simple task of just keeping positive and negative strait. Assuming they don't electrocute themselves, they're at least capable of simple tasks. But, if they've dome a little more complicated wiring that requires some thinking, it may show some analytical skills - if not skills with direct transferability. For example, a two-way switch, or putting in new wiring, etc. Those things take at least some planning and forethought.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.