cURL CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST behavior

sKunKbad

Today my boss called me and told me that a php script I had written for him wasn't working. It had been working for over a year, and no changes had been made (at least not for many months). The problem was that he just has a self signed cert, and I had not set CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to FALSE. Did something in Linux change in the last day? I wonder because his server and my computer (Ubuntu) both started in with the same problem on the same day. I set CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to FALSE and everything started working again.

If something changed then your machines had to download and apply them. So I ask you: what happened in the last couple days?

I set CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to FALSE and everything started working again.

Don't use false. The value is supposed to be an integer: 0 to disable, 1 to partially enable (and only works for libcurl

If something changed then your machines had to download and apply them. So I ask you: what happened in the last couple days?

Don't use false. The value is supposed to be an integer: 0 to disable, 1 to partially enable (and only works for libcurl <7.28.0), 2 to fully enable.

Honestly, I don't know the exact updates I apply to my Ubuntu machines. I just install them when Ubuntu tells me they are ready.

As for my boss, his server is CentOs. I don't even have access to it, so I don't know what's going on there. It's just kind of funny that both machines start to have errors on the same day.

Also, thanks for the advice regarding CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST.

It's generally advisable to leave CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST enabled. If you're using a self-signed certificate, you just need to tell CURL to trust it by using CURLOPT_CAINFO. Save the server's certificate somewhere locally and then use code like:

$ch = curl_init('https://example.com/');
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, 2);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CAINFO, '/path/to/example.crt');
curl_exec($ch);
You'd still have to make sure that your self-signed certificate doesn't expire, but you could set the expiration date for like 10 years in the future or something when generating it.
  • Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.