.htaccess redirect 301 problems

BuildMyWeb

i frequently use .htaccess files for some basics but i am very newbish in my understanding. 

what i am trying to do is setup permanent redirects for old file names to new ones on the same server/domain.  the line below typically works for me but i cannot get any success on a particular client's account.  it is a GoDaddy shared hosting Linux server.  has apache and other .htaccess directives are working.  i have been researching online about this and so have tried numerous alternatives such as redirectmatch-es and RewriteRule-s.  not that i understand the aforementioned well but read an article on two that explained things fairly well and so gave it a shot but no luck.

i did find a bunch of statements alluding to some changes GoDaddy made that require the inclusion of subfolders in the command but had no success with it.

this domain, mysite.com, is setup as a subdomain (in 'subfolder') under what GoDaddy is calling the 'root' directory.

Redirect /subfolder/old_file.php      http://mysite.com/subfolder/new_file.php
Edited by BuildMyWeb

Is mod_alias enabled? Do you have access to the redirect logs? Do you have any errors?

i searched a phpinfo() file for mod_alias but didnt find it.  where can i see if this is enabled?

dont know where to find redirect logs?  i looked in my cpanel but not there.

no onscreen errors.  other than the 404.  i AM being directed to my custom 404 page which leads me to believe .htaccess is working, in general.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.