mysql to mysqli

coppens

Good day,

I have a website that I have labored over as I am learning but determined, only to find out that mysql is depreciating.  How do I switch my site to mysqli?  I use a myphpadmin database with the site.  Thank you so much.

I checked and they have no idea what I am talking about.  The tech keeps saying that mysql works fine.  Is this something that I fix on my website coding itself, or is it something that my hosting domain updates and I just tag along?

Edited by coppens

If you are wanting to learn more about mysqli and hone in on your skills, you can check out the documentation on php.net: http://php.net/manual/en/book.mysqli.php

However, if you are looking to convert your current code from mysql functions to mysqli in a hurry, there was a converter tool on Oracle's website that I believe has been relocated to Github: https://github.com/philip/MySQLConverterTool

Just to be clear, the database itself will still be a MySQL database - MySQL's not going anywhere.

MySQLi is a php class that's replacing the deprecated MySQL php functions. So it has nothing to do with the database itself, but rather with the way you interact with the database in php.

All the mysql_somethingfunction() that you see in the code itself need to be updated to use mysqli_comparativefunction().

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.