Animation on collapsing sidebar

MargateSteve

I am building an admin area for a site I am working on with a collapsing sidebar.

This works fine except that I wanted it to slide in/out smoothly rather than just disappear/reappear. 

I tried a JS approach by setting it to 'left:-260px' when collapsed and using show/hide but this caused problems with the rest of the layout.

I have also tried adding 'transition: all 0.5s ease;' to the sidebar wrapper class but this did nothing either.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go for this? I will be setting up a right sidebar (that is hidden by default) at a later date but want to get the concept right before adding that.

JsFiddle

Regards

Steve

Personally, I'd use 2 different classes with right: values, as such:

.sidbar{
	position: absolute;
	right: -250px;
        transition: right 0.5s ease;
}
.open{
	right: 0px;
}

Then use JQuery (or JavaScript) to toggle the 'open' class on and off by click() event. Adding the transition attribute will animate the div position - don't forget to use browser prefixes for this as some browsers are still playing catch-up (iPad Safari, I'm looking at you...)

Glad it's working. I haven't used -prefix-free (thanks for the link - I'll check it out!) but I am slowly building a .less library of mixins to make things like animations, transforms, and resets easier to do. It's got some limitations (my setup, not .less), but it's working for me so far...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.