Is possible for Deaf person get a job at position in PHP web developer?

sigmahokies

Hi everyone,

I want to ask for your opinion and advice. 

Is there possible for Deaf person getting a job as PHP web developer? I know few Deaf people who can write in PHP.

I just want to see how chance for Deaf people, because discriminate against Deaf people are still exist in America even it is illegal.

Please let me know, if you don't understand what I said, Please let me know, then i will be happy to repost in this thread.

Thanks,

Gary

I would think that being Deaf would primarily cause concern in regards to how employers will be able to communicate with you, and this could influence the way they think of you as a potential employee.

The actual process of developing wouldn't be an issue.

I think that unfortunately, you might have to work a bit harder at having a portfolio and possibly some github sourced code, or other things that you can use to show people you are competent and capable.  

You want to create some working sites that show what you are capable of.

I would think that most of the time you would have written statements of requirements to work from, which would decrease the problem. Also a lot of office communication is via email or messaging.

If the US is like the UK, you may find more opportunities in the public sector, and they may, in some cases, have a policy of positive discrimination (they are very fond of quotas). That gets you a foot on the career ladder.

As someone who is responsible for hiring people, I will give you my honest feedback. As a professional, I know that I am not supposed to take into account any disabilities which can be addressed through reasonable accommodations. But, there are some issues with that:

What is "reasonable". As the others have stated, much of our communication is via text - but not all of it. What about conference calls where employees talk through issues? Would it be reasonable to have everyone "talk" through text? There may be utilities to do speech-to-text, but on a conference call I suspect they may have problems (people taking over each other, background noise, etc.). And, as a manager, I know it would require more work of me to have to write out everything I need to communicate (stopping by to ask a question, weekly status meetings, etc.). That brings me to the most important factor . . . 

Even though a manager may consciously see the candidate and understand that the are "reasonable accommodations" that can be made, his subconscious will be thinking about the difficulties that have to be overcome and how it would be "easier" to hire someone else. People don't like discomfort and having to deal with situations they have never dealt with (with the inherent unknowns) is uncomfortable. The manager will ultimately be responsible for the output of the people they hire.

So, I agree with Barand and gizmola:

1) A public sector job would probably be less of a challenge due to their hiring practices

2) Having a stellar history/examples of work will help alleviate any hiring manager's possible hesitation

The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. It also applies to the United States Congress.

http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

America is the land of opportunity, so yes, it is absolutely possible for a deaf person to become employed.  I imagine though, that it would make the Human Resources peoples' butt-holes tighten up a bit, because of fear of being suspected of discriminating against a disabled person.  Those with disabilities definitely have an advantage in gaining employment thanks to the ADA.  Technically, any disabled person could attempt to get a job that requires the very sense that they lack , and when denied the job, pull the ADA card and lawyer up to the issue.  Depending on the circumstances of the denial though, I wouldn't think it would even hold up in court.  I mean, a blind person is most definitely not qualified to be an airplane pilot, but that cannot stop that person from trying.  And even if that person fought tooth-and-nail to fight the court case, the person would still fail the eye exam to be a pilot, which is not discriminatory at all because there are people who can see that will fail the same vision test.

A deaf person as a programmer?  I absolutely agree with everyone above, what can you bring to the table?  At the end of the day, you're going to be interviewed some way or another before being employed, and you'll have to explain exactly how, given your situation, you can help the business excel.  Personally, I would have no issue with hiring a programmer that is deaf, because you don't need to hear in order to program.  Most people program with music blaring in their headphones and that IMO is pretty close to being deaf.

The same principle would go for an individual that is blind; they will never gain a job driving a vehicle, being a graphic designer, or being a cook for a restaurant.  There is that gray area though that exists for those individuals that demonstrate talents that allow them overcome their lack of one sense with an impressionable alternative.  Someone who is blind will most naturally gain a broader distribution of energy towards the senses.  I don't want to use the word "superhuman",  but rather, talented.

I've met a few people who were deaf and it's unbelievable to realize how well their other senses allow them to survive.  Just by the way you breathe, smell, feel, a blind person can create a hypothesis and come to a conclusion just like everyone else.

Long story short: You cannot be denied a job simply because you are deaf, but you can be denied a job if you do not meet certain expectations or pass certain examinations.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.