Searching a particular Column Instantly across all rows

natasha_sharma

Folks,

I need a way to on the fly do a keyword search on a particular column in a table (all rows).

1) I am using PHpmyadmin, is there are 100 recordes loaded on one page, then the search box will search on those visible rows only.

I want it to search across the table even if rows are not loaded in UI or paginated tabs.

How to do that?

2) If Phpmyadmin can not do this, then is there any php script which can do this?

3) Is DBVisualzer a good option for this purpose?

Thanks

Natasha

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? If you are doing this in PHPMyAdmin, then I assume you are just doing this to verify/correct some data. If this needs to be a user facing feature, then you need to build a page to allow a user to perform a search with relevant inputs and a query that will consume those inputs. But, even if you are just needing this data in PHPMyAdmin, the solution is the same - you need to build the relevant query and run it.

Do you have any experience with constructing SQL Queries? E.g.

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE field_name = 'some_value'

PHPMyAdmin is a standalone "administrative" application - it is not meant to be used to build functionality. It is only meant for developer use. If you wanted to hack the PhpMyAdmin code, yes, I guess you could do that.

If you are wanting to build some sort of user facing feature, then your question should be about using the MySQL database.

So I want the script to show me the filtered rows instantly, instead of me writing Query. Kind of Ajax based solution.

What does AJAX have to do with this? The back end processes needed are still the same. AJAX would only prevent a page refresh. Which is not to say there is no value to AJAX, it's just not the most important thing in getting what you state you are after.

Can phpmyadmin do this? Or is there any script which has the UI already to do this?

Again, PhpMyAdmin is used to administrate the MySQL DB. You can manually create/run queries in PhpMyAdmin if you want, but it is not for user-facing features, therefore it is not feature rich in such functionality since it would be expected that someone that can write a query would be using it. That is the responsibility of the developer. You didn't answer my last question, do you have the experience to create such queries? I'm not trying to be rude, but it sounds as if you do not. So, you can either learn to do so, find someone else to do it for you, or look for some pre-build script to do it for you.

This forum is for people to get help with code they have written (or at least those that make an attempt). As for finding some pre-built script, it will almost certainly require the person implementing it to do some configuration to make it work right for the table being used - which would require some knowledge of how to use a database. Plus, if you don't understand the script you could inadvertently implement a feature with gaping security holes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.