Advice: osCommerce

d_barszczak

• 2 weeks later...

the problem with oscommerce that i have is it is harder to customize.  try opencart (http://www.opencart.com).  css based, looks good too.  another thing that you can try is The freebert.com Free PHP Shopping Cart. the only problem here is that you have to have the logo on the bottom of all visible pages...kinda annoying, but then you can just create an easy html/php site, and just add in the files that you need.  i dont know if it is secure though......

Work with oscommerce frequently, not too bad for modifying once you learn it. Thumbs Up!

that is probably true.  the first and only time that i worked at customizing oscommerce is when i first started working w/php.  got really confused and just gave up. 

d_barszczak, i was not saying that oscommerce was a bad program, just that there are others out there to look at too. keep your eyes and ears open, test stuff out (get a few commerce programs and set up a testing server. i use wamp), and use what you like.

I have not done much from users side of OSCommrece, but I have made modifications to it for other people, and it's source code is a mess. Just recently, they were working on rewriting the code so that it didn't require register globals!!

I would reccomend that you look for something else besides OSCommrece.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on what level you will be working at, if it's a simple low traffic store using paypal then OSC is perfect for your needs. But if you can afford something else it's always better to pay and get full support for what you pay for.

I've been using OSC, CREloaded and other flavours of the same code for 5 or 6 years now and it's fine by me. If you want someone to hold your hand just PM me, I'm not able to code anything but I've installed and customised it loads of times. Don't go for the latest version (I think it's 3) because the contributions are mainly for version 2.? Creloaded is OSC with a lot of these contributions added. The is also some similer builds too.

Thanks i'll bear that in mind. The site is a small dropshipping site that would be ideal if paypal could handle the payments. Not sure if they are going to use my company yet to do it but i don't want to end up with customer details going missing every other week.

My company is a web development/scripting/consultancy i would like to find one e-commerce solution that can be used for a few customers rather than trying to support a million different solutions.

Thanks for all your feedback so far. It's really useful.

If I was you I would move over to Zen Cart.  Still pretty tough to work with but definitely an improvement over osCommerce.  Great community as well.

I also just stumbled upon Magento (http://www.magentocommerce.com/).  Haven't tried it yet but it looks promising. Default template and feature set is amazing.

ZEN cart is an off shoot of oscommerce as is creloaded, Magento I looked at recently and I can tell you although has some nice feature it runs very very slow. Osc can handle hundrads of thouands of products, I don't think Magento would.

A lot of developers use osc and get used to that because they are a load of contributions to suit almost any need. You can also build your own with a few php skills.

I have a client that will be needing some sort of ecommerce site. I was thinking..I have done everything and can code an entire cart from scratch. The only thing I havent done is credit card payments or any payments really. I would much rather build my own framework for this site rather than use something like oscommerce, but since I have no experience with payments, it seems the only reason I would do that. I guess my question is how hard would it be to implement something like verisign onto a site and do secure transactions. Any info would be good..thanks.

Not done much in the way of this myself but i genrally use pay pal. That way it's there problem. You don't have to worry about securing card details, worry about being hacked or even ssl encryption.

My advise would be let a 3rd party take care of card payments. That way they are liable and also they are insured if the worst should happen.

I am quite an experianced php/mysql coder and could code my own shopping cart but this will take a long time to get right not to mention testing and securing then the worries of storing customer card details means it's only worth while if you can sell the product afterwards. If there is a product that does what you want and open source then why re-invent the wheel.

Plus: Don't know if you are based in the uk but the government are planning huge fines or even prison for loosing customer details after they lost something like 3 million child benifit details.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.