MySQL on a network

Orion

Is it possible to have MySQL and MyODBC running on a local machine and have it point to a database placed on a server that isn\'t running MySQL?

If so, what do you have to edit in the my.ini and MyODBC? I can\'t get my computer to connect to the database I\'ve placed on my server.

Any advice would be awesome.

Is it possible to have MySQL and MyODBC running on a local machine and have it point to a database placed on a server that isn\'t running MySQL?

What do you mean by pointing to database that isnt running Mysql? Do you mean that there is another RDBMS package like orcale or MSSQL installed ?

Well Myodbc is an interface to connect to a remote database and also to create DSN to use with other applications.

You have to make me clear about what you are trying to do so that we can help you better.

If you are talking about synchonization then there are tools available for that and aslo you have to ensure that your RDBMS supports that.

Sorry if I was kinda vague.

Here\'s the scenario I\'m wondering about.

I have MySQL 4.01 running on my Win2k machine and I have created a database and everything is working fine. I\'m trying to see if I can move that database to another drive on our network, and MySQL is not running on that server. I just want my machine to look at the database no matter where I put it.

I tried editing my.ini file and I also tried creating a symbolic link, but I don\'t seem to have the information I need to make these work.

Any advice?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.