PHP Editors *MERGED TOPIC*

steelmanronald06

Well I currently use PHP Coder to do all my php coding stuff. I like it okay. If you make an if statement, it automatically indents for you, and then unindents when you put the closing curley bracket. If you use a php build in function it highlights it bold blue, if you use your own function it goes orange, and html shows up as green. There are also a few other color coding and neat features. Say I space two spaces over and hit enter. Instead of having to space to spaces over again, it automatically does it for me. Really helpful. there are to many features to name. However, it is old and some of the newer php things aren't included in it, and there hasn't been an upgrade in years.

So my question is this. Is there a good piece of coding software, similar to what I currently use, but is updated more and is better? It also needs to be free to downlaod [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The open source version of Maguma Studio - I use it and appears to have many of the features you have described. The cool thing is, when you type a function, a tooltip pops up explaining its use and acceptable parameters.

One annoying thing is, its not 100% stable, sometimes it decides to throw a tonne of error messages out at once, reload it and all is ok again. Doesn't happen ALL the time, just every so often. But as its open source, I would image it will get fixed soon.

i would also recommend trying [a href=\"http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php\" target=\"_blank\"]PHP Designer[/a]. they've got 2006 beta for download now, too.

as for free software, i really like to use [a href=\"http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html\" target=\"_blank\"]SciTE[/a] for my straight coding. it does all your auto indentions and everything, but it's nice since it's a completely standalone program.

one other freebee that i'd recommend is [a href=\"http://www.eclipse.org/\" target=\"_blank\"]Eclipse[/a] from IBM. free to download, and free to install modules. they've got absolutely incredible web dev modules for free. plus, if you like using Vi in linux as your text editor, you can pay like $9 and get the Vi plugin where you can use all your keystrokes in Eclipse... very cool.

anyway, these are some of the better free editors i've come across.

i like using html-kit. everything is color coded, auto indented, etc.. blah blah blah. There are tabs at the top, underneath the main menu (file, edit, view, tools, etc...) for quick actions like there's a form tab that has many different form options like you can click on one that automatically makes a text input box and you just fill in the blanks, etc.. and there are these same tags for tables, objects, etc.. and there are hella tons of plugins.

I have a couple of php, sql and javascript plugins that add new tabs to that list of tabs and i can for instance, go to the php tab and there are buttons for virtually every single php keyword, variable, function, method, etc.. that all you have to do is fill in the blanks. even sql commands like mysql_fetch_array etc... and even common sql queries like i can go to "update" and click on this:

UPDATE tableName SET col1=val1, col2=val2, ... [WHERE clause]

and it puts that on the screen and i just fill in the blanks.

you can even integrate the offline version of the php manual into it, if that's you're thing. and the whole thing is free.

only thing i do not like about it is that if you have multiple files open they are not tabbed. so you have to keep moving windows around, min/maxing, etc.. it's a pain, but i live with it, cuz everything else works great for me [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

edit:

okay nvm apparently it does have tabs when you have several files open at once. i just didn't have that feature selected in my preferences (doh!). it's at the bottom instead of the top.

html-kit gets 2 thumbs up from me [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=375242:date=May 19 2006, 04:06 PM:name=steelmanronald06)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steelmanronald06 @ May 19 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]375242[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Alright. Fixed a few things while I had a bit of spare time before the meeting. The logo is clickable. I took out the login box and sized up the nav. There is now /login.php . However, what do I do with the login page? I stared at it for a while, just kinda looking at it, trying to think of something, but nothing came to mind. Any ideas on how to spice up that oh so empty page? Any ideas where I should move the login box instead?
[/quote]
Qui?

I personally use Homesite 5.5, but if I were to switch to a free editor, I'd go with PHP Designer (2005... I've tried the 2006 beta and it's still really buggy).

I've tried Eclipse and the Maguma studio packages... didn't really care for either.

[!--quoteo(post=375293:date=May 19 2006, 12:55 PM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ May 19 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]375293[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Qui?
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry bout that. Didn't realize I was posting in the wrong topic. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /]

All great suggestions. I downloaded them all and tested them out. PHP Designer was the best. I liked the others, but PHP Designer seemed to offer me more to what I wanted. Thanks all.

[!--quoteo(post=375432:date=May 19 2006, 09:53 PM:name=akitchin)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(akitchin @ May 19 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]375432[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i can't count on one set of hands how many times this conversation has come up..
[/quote]

I'm gonna pin this so no one will ask again [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Ok I am now Lookign for a professional editor. Here is basically a list of features I am looking for:

Code Coloring( Now the most of my code will be with PHP but I will also be doing allt he HTMl\CSS\etc.. so I would like to have an editor than can color mutli code languages in the same file, I would like to be able to define the color myself )
Project Management( I need some where I can oragnize all mode code very well )
Cold Folding( I would like to be able to fold control state, classes, functions, etc... )
Code Line Numbering( I would to have the line number in th eUI itself like the wat UltraEdit can have it )
PHP Debugger
FTP Connection( I would like to be able to connect to FTP acocunt while inside the editor )
MySQL Connection( I would to be able to control MySQL DB from inside the editor too, not a major thing tho )

I am really not looking to spend a shole lots, I would like to spend around 100, maybe alittle more it the editor is real good. What would you recommand?

I see no reason as to why this topic should be closed, so I have opened it so others can feel free to have their input on the mentioned software, or recommend alternatives. Without creating new topics on the same, or similar theme.

There are a number of topics already regarding prefered editors, a quick look turned up the following two that you may wish to read and/or participate in:

[a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54859\" target=\"_blank\"]Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?[/a]
[a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93740\" target=\"_blank\"]PHP Coding software[/a]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.