./configure

Hi,

This may seem like a dumb question, we have an old version of php running here at work (4.3.9).  I want to install the gd library and have been advised that I need to run the following command to configure php (amongst other changes to php.ini).

./configure --with gd

I've only recently become familiar the ./configure command, but I'm concerned as phpinfo() currently shows the Configure Command as:

'./configure' '--with-apxs2=/home/fbear/ap2/bin/apxs' '--with-oci8=/ade/fbear_ap1012/oracle' '--disable-rpath' '--prefix=/home/fbear/php2.0' '--enable-experimental-zts' '--with-tsrm-pthreads'

If i now run "./configure --with gd" will it wipe out the existing configuration ?.  I need to be carefull here as we already have a number of php apps developed and running, so I can't afford to get this wrong.....

Is there anywhere that this command is documented, particularly as it relates to php ?

Thanks in advance.

If i now run "./configure --with gd" will it wipe out the existing configuration ?. 

Yes, you will need to append to the allready existing arguments.

Is there anywhere that this command is documented, particularly as it relates to php ?

In the README file contained within php's source.

Having said all that (and as Ive read another of your posts) there is likely no need to compile php from source. You are using Ubuntu correct? Search for and install a php-gd package via apt-get.

Thanks Thorpe,

I've been using Ubuntu at home (php 5.2.5) .  However, at work we use Red Hat Enterprise version (php 4.3.9) which is administered outside of my area, unfortunately they have little knowledge of php config options (as do I to some extent).  It is work I require this for....

Your advice worked beautifully on my home pc.... now I guess I'll set up another linux partition on my home pc and load php 4.3.9 (and other work apps Oracle XE etc) into it and test it there before I start lobbying work to install it.... then telling them how to do it!!!

Thanks again.....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.