Iframe/Frame - Google

jaymc

I have an audio feature on my website which plays music.

I strictly want the music to carry on playing whilst they browse around different pages on the site.

To make this work, I figure the only option is to have a top iframe, 20px in height and a bottom iframe which fills the rest of the remaining space.

From client point of view, you wouldnt even know, so no issues there.

However, this means that when search engines hit my website, they wont see all my content/links etc, they will just see a page with 2 iframes on.

This will seriously screw up any chance of google nicely indexing my website, right?.

Or am I missing something.

I cant have the audio player in a popup by the way, so thats a no go.

I dont mind the iframes, I just dont want it to screw google up.

Thanks.

You could put all meta tags etc. in each individual page and put up a redirect so that if the individual page is loaded not within the frame, that it would direct to your index page with both frames. This way google should be able to crawl it and if a person follows a link to your page, it would direct them to your main page.

music? Use the old windows media player trick. Make them stream the music using windows media player. The program will stream the music and not the browser - allowing the user to even view webpages outside of your website.

This is very simple to do. Google it. ;D

It has to be flash the music player which i alrady have, and i dont want any other windows open, even if its a progra/wmp

How about having some code detect whether it is google bot reading the page, if so, redirect them/load the main content without the frames

That way according your google your homepage is the actualy content page not the frame place holder

That feasable do you think?

Cool

Whats the best way to detect any search engine spider

I dont want to limit just to google

I want to be able to basically have in php

if ($source = "robot") {include("noneframes.php")}

else  {include("frames.php")}

What should $source be and what should it be checking for

Cool

Whats the best way to detect any search engine spider

I dont want to limit just to google

I want to be able to basically have in php

if ($source = "robot") {include("noneframes.php")}

else  {include("frames.php")}

What should $source be and what should it be checking for

You shouldn't be including; instead you should redirect... header ('...");

This can be achieved - with the extensive use of ajax. But that is pretty much the only way to achieve it.

The way to do it would be generate all the page content bar the flash player in an ajax request and update the html accordingly.  This sounds like a big deal BUT if you plan you app properly the same code can be used both in the ajax request and in the normal page generation...#

Beauty of that is no need for any different pages to be served for bots...

Yeh I know what you mean, a lot of my site is ajax but having everything in it is too much

I guess its either that or frames, will stick with frames

Although still looking for a fail safe way to serve bots my content page and not the frames

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.