how to count and display records?

New4You

Hi there all,

Maybe its really simple, and Im gunna look stupid, but here goes anyway .... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I have a recorset that Im returning on my php page. I have a download site - it contains a 'Top 100 Downloads' page. This page lists all the top 100 records. I've got that part to work ok ...

But what I really want to do, is for each record displayed, also display a record number.

eg.

1. Download file A
2. Download file B
3. Download file C
4. Download file D
etc ...

Can someone please offer some help ?

Thanks all ! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Jay

well, if you've already got it displaying the records, just set up an incrementer within the loop where you echo your results... something like this should work nicely:
[code]
$res = mysql_query($query); // whatever you're selecting
$count = 0;
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($res)) {
  ++$count;
  echo "$count. $row['name']<br />\n";
}
[/code]

notice that with each loop, $count is being incremented to reflect the row number. that's really all you need.

thanks obsidian

Two thumbs up to you mate ! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /]

I knew it would not be difficult for someone in the know such as yourself!

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to implementing into my site asap!!!

Cheers
Jamie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.