Grouping Like Items

hadem

So i wanted to write a simple PHP script that would keep track of my recipes in a MySQL database so that I could keep track of the ingredients, any notes, and ratings, etc. I really wanted a feature where i could select a bunch of recipes and have the script generate a shopping list for me. I know how to do that, but then i want it to group like items. So, if two different recipes call for one apple, the shopping list would tell me to buy 2 apples instead of listing 1 apple twice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

you could probably use "GROUP BY" in your query.

SELECT * FROM recipies WHERE cluause goes here GROUP BY ingrediantsTable

OR

in your PHP script that makes a list, as you go through your database results and add each item to the list, put them into an array. As you add each item to the array, do a check to see if the item is already inarray(). if so, don't add it again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.