HeelyPortal.com

Celardore

Hey guys,

I've been working on a new project for the past few days.

[a href=\"http://www.heelyportal.com\" target=\"_blank\"]www.heelyportal.com[/a]

The purpose of the site will be for heely skaters to be able to upload skating videos for all to be seen. Eventually it will also include generic tutorials, tips, forums etc.

I seem to have a major issue with getting the sample video to play in IE... I don't know how to get around this, so if anyone has any tips!!! (quicktime plugin doesn't seem to function)

Like I say, it's new so my feelings won't be hurt by a little critique of design / layout / function. Several features aren't working right now - just trying to sort the uploads but it's being a nightmare!

Thanks for the tips.

Celardore

[!--quoteo(post=376144:date=May 22 2006, 03:35 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ May 22 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]376144[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
First thing that bothers me is that I see your ads before I even see your menu. In 2 places at that. The site is dark, menu needs work. Not very much going on. What's with the sneakers?
[/quote]

The ads should be discreet, and they usually load after the page... but I don't want that to be an issue.

* Menu needs work - please explain how? Greater definition, visibility, colour scheming?

Not very much going on. - granted, not right now. Sorry bout that, hopefully soon though.

What's with the sneakers? <bias>Awesome training shoes with a wheel in the heel, look like normal shoes but you can skate along with them. Great for getting looks along the street or in the supermarket</bias>

I do intend for the site to look dark though. Thanks for your comments :)

[!--quoteo(post=376098:date=May 22 2006, 11:28 AM:name=Celardore)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Celardore @ May 22 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]376098[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hey guys,

I've been working on a new project for the past few days.

[a href=\"http://www.heelyportal.com\" target=\"_blank\"]www.heelyportal.com[/a]

The purpose of the site will be for heely skaters to be able to upload skating videos for all to be seen. Eventually it will also include generic tutorials, tips, forums etc.

I seem to have a major issue with getting the sample video to play in IE... I don't know how to get around this, so if anyone has any tips!!! (quicktime plugin doesn't seem to function)
Like I say, it's new so my feelings won't be hurt by a little critique of design / layout / function. Several features aren't working right now - just trying to sort the uploads but it's being a nightmare!

Thanks for the tips.
Celardore
[/quote]

I don't like your basic approach to "windowing". There's nothing wrong with a dark color scheme, although I would question the use of one for your particular site. Nevertheless, the way I like to think about a site is the site's "window" sits on top of a background. That background is sometimes an image, or just a basic color.

The "window" should then be a different color, and one thing you should avoid is ever having panes that have the same color as the background color, because you're sending the message that there's a "hole" in your window.

Your site is all black. So there's no sense that there is a "window" for your site. I don't think very many people will find it appealing, from a visual standpoint.

You also have width and spacing issues. I have a large screen and the header, menu bar, and main content area don't line up.

[!--quoteo(post=376164:date=May 22 2006, 04:51 PM:name=gizmola)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gizmola @ May 22 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]376164[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I don't like your basic approach to "windowing". There's nothing wrong with a dark color scheme, although I would question the use of one for your particular site. Nevertheless, the way I like to think about a site is the site's "window" sits on top of a background. That background is sometimes an image, or just a basic color.

The "window" should then be a different color, and one thing you should avoid is ever having panes that have the same color as the background color, because you're sending the message that there's a "hole" in your window.

Your site is all black. So there's no sense that there is a "window" for your site. I don't think very many people will find it appealing, from a visual standpoint.

You also have width and spacing issues. I have a large screen and the header, menu bar, and main content area don't line up.
[/quote]

Thankyou for your suggestions, I shall refer to your comments over the coming days.

[!--quoteo(post=376324:date=May 23 2006, 09:26 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 23 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]376324[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Goddamn it... I had a really detailed list and then my browser crashed. And now I'm too knackered to re-write it all.
[/quote]

The beloved opera crashed [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

You know, when I updated firefox and added a couple extensions I've had a few crashes.

1) Don't let the placement of the navigation menu. Needs more margin spacing and why is there only a spacer between the last two links?

2) Add some padding in the content. The text is too close to the border.

3) The site overflows horizontal in 1024x768 resolution. Kind of annoying to have to scroll over.

Other than that, it's not too bad.

I've fixed a lot of the stuff that was suggested so far in this thread.

The problem I'm having at the moment is lack of time, lot of personal stuff going on, plus having a shakey internet connection doesn't help!

Again, thanks for the comments and any further suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

PS: The video feature totally bugs out in IE, does anyone know a workaround etc?

first, let me rant off subject about how annoying Heely's are. I am so sick of being in a store and have little 9 year olds zoom by me. Sometimes I just want to trip them. The other day I was in Target and I saw this head just float by from the other isle. I was like "what the ...." then I realized it was another tween on wheels. I'm surprised parents let their kids wear them out in public. Have they been banned yet in schools?

second, I agree with those who commented on your menu. there's nothing wrong w/ plain text but it take a few moments for the user to adjust and understand the layout of your page. The first place people look for navigation is on the left - where you have your google ads. I'd move them to the right side of the screen - where people expect to see ads. You can keep your nav menu on the top if you'd like, but make it more obvious that it is a menu. Perhaps change the background color behind the text or make the text itself a bit lighter and bolder.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.