Do you use an IDE for your php scripting?

Shaun

Do you use an IDE?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an IDE?

• Yes
    • No

• 3 weeks later...

PHP doesn't require any compilation.  And most IDE's are slow to load, always have something popping up in your face and have the screen cluttered with useless junk. So just a good editor like VIM works for me.

That really doesn't make any sense.  Using VIM is counter-productive.  IDEs load up just like any other program on your computer. They have nice features like auto-complete for various programming languages and html/css. 

I think our workflows must be drastically different - everything I need to do, I do in vim, and I never have to leave the keyboard. :) Subversion repository management, multiple tabs, and database management, all without using the mouse.

(I think this is another case of "whatever works best for you".)

I mostly use an IDE when coding unless I need to only make small changes. In that case I'll use vim in a *nix environment or Notepad++ (or sometimes just regular notepad) in a Windows environment. The thing I like the most about IDEs is the code completion. Not so much because I won't have to type the entire name, but because I'll get an argument list.

As of right now, I do not use one.  I am currently looking for a free IDE.

As for the reason, I always do everything in notepad.  Whether it is CSS, XHTML, Javascript, or PHP, I always do it in notepad.  That is how I started in the beginning, and that is how I continue coding.  So, it could be habit; it could be the fact I did not have the initiative to start looking for one...

Syntax highlighting can be nice, especially if you are trying to use some language like JavaScript or PHP.  It would point out your mistakes right away.  However, when you do not have an IDE, you will be "out of luck", because you will never be able to catch your mistakes.  I noticed that in a webpage class I took this year, even though I already knew XHTML (hey, it was virtually free college credit): many students are not able to catch their mistakes, because they use Dreamweaver or something like that.  When it comes down to it, they do not know what they are doing: Dreamweaver does.

I use dreamweaver which has the auto complete features. I try my best to build my apps/webs using oop which means that a lot of the time i am using classes and functions of my own. In fact i have one engine that is the base of most of my sites. The auto complete helps out when i need a quick refresh of how a function works that i have not used for a while.

I do however perform tweaks on live systems using pico in ubuntu which has no IDE or auto complete.

I stick with the good old Notepad. :) The original.

Everything is too slow or doesn't have the original PHP syntax colours, which is horrible.

As for Dreamweaver, I swear I will never touch that program again. It's way too slow and the FTP system just gets in the way all the time (or it did for me at least).

• 3 weeks later...

Using VIM is counter-productive.

You'll have to clarify that. :) I've been using vim for years, and not once have I noticed that it's less productive than a normal text editor.

I hope you can clarify something...

Are you able to browse a large source base with vim? Also, what keeps me away is I like being able to have multiple buffers open at once and to swap between them within my IDE. This allows me to maintain my code much easier, especially if the code is diverse in location.

The standard file browsing in vim is much different than in any IDE - you type the filenames and use tab-completion to open the files you want. For example, to open ~/projects/sticklinks/trunk/index.php, I do:

:e ~/pro<tab>/sti<tab>/tr<tab>/ind<tab>

Each time I press tab, it automatically fills it out to the correct name. It then opens the file I want. If all of the files I'm going to edit are in ~/projects/sticklinks, then I do

:cd ~/projects/sticklinks

And then I can just do this to edit the same file:

:e trunk/index.php

I use the buftabs and bufpos plugins from vim.org, to maintain a list of files at the bottom of my window. (See the attached screenshot.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

The standard file browsing in vim is much different than in any IDE - you type the filenames and use tab-completion to open the files you want. For example, to open ~/projects/sticklinks/trunk/index.php, I do:

:e ~/pro<tab>/sti<tab>/tr<tab>/ind<tab>

Each time I press tab, it automatically fills it out to the correct name. It then opens the file I want. If all of the files I'm going to edit are in ~/projects/sticklinks, then I do

:cd ~/projects/sticklinks

And then I can just do this to edit the same file:

:e trunk/index.php

I use the buftabs and bufpos plugins from vim.org, to maintain a list of files at the bottom of my window. (See the attached screenshot.)

Very cool. I knew about :e but I didn't know about bufpos and buftabs.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.