What's this port when it's at home?

deadonarrival

Definately not a parallel port, I would've recognised that... and they're hardly common on 2008 laptops :)

I was thinking along the lines of monitor/sound out, although I do have a VGA port, and the standard mic/line im/speaker ports.

I was wondering if it's a hi-def output (or even better, input) but I'd say it's more likely a standard def input for using my laptop for TV... but I can't find info on the port anywhere

External CD drives was my second guess. Most of the external CD drives i've seen have been on the ultra slim laptops.

I'm really sure that it's a docking station port. I just looked at 3 dell laptops around here and the have a simlar port in the back for the docking station. They have two rows of 'pins' like in your picture.

The 2 HP laptops i have here with an expansion port, have 1 row of pins on the side for the expansion port

Is it on the back or the side? Docking station ports would be on the back to allow access to the screen and keyboard in the front.

I'd say not a CD drive... it's not an ultraportable, and has an optical drive built in.

It's on the side, so it's still possible it's an expansion port... it's not on the front at any rate. Oh well. I doubt I'll ever need it. Was just hoping it might be something to do with graphics (I was hoping to find a graphics-in for a tv-tuner or similar).

Thanks  for the help :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.