When to 'shared->virtual->dedicated' hosting?

Gath

Hi.

Dunno if this is the correct section, but if it isnt, wich one is? :o

Anyway, the question is:

how can you know what kind of hosting will you need, so the follwing doenst happen:

- your site uses too mutch resources on shared hosting, and hte company cancels your account,

- your site uses 1% of resources on dedicated server, so you waste a pile of $$,

I understand bandwith, amount of users, what i dont know is how mutch resources (RAM/CPU) does a site uses.

I have a project that is in final stages, when it goes online it might, with some luck, and if the publicity works as intended, draw a big amount of users. I have no idea what kind of hosting i should get, sicne all projects i been in so far were somewhat small, shared host was fine. Now, knowing i can have a numbers, that goes from 1 000 up to 20 000 visitors by day, gets me completly lost on how mutch resources it takes...

True, with those numbers my best bet would be dedicated host, but... money is a problem at the moment  :-X cant 'afford to waste', or else the project wont ever see the light of day :s

So, any guides on how mutch 'power' one needs on hosting?

Use virtualization to create a host on your current machine and restrict the memory and cpu usage to be the same as common hosting packages.  Then nail the crap out of it with a program that simulates user actions.

If you can afford it a VPS should be able to handle your site, at least in the initial stages.

You could always start out small and upgrade later if space/memory/bandwidth/whatever becomes a problem. You most likely wont get 20,000 visitors each day for a while after you've started. For instance, during the last couple of days we've had around 1750 visitors per day and from April 22 until now we've served 114,324 page views. It might (hopefully) increase when the site is eventually relaunched. These stats are applicable only for the forums and only for users who are browsing with Javascript on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.