Using php in external css file

benjudy

I have been wondering if it is possible or legal to use php (conditionals, for example) in an external .css file.

I've been experimenting, but so far it doesn't seem to work.

If it does work, can someone post a simple example?

If it's not allowed, can someone link to a web page explaining why not?

I'd appreciate links to any resources about this. I've been looking around the web but haven't found an answer.

Thanks!

not sure i understand [i]why[/i] you need to do this? your css file will be imported to the (example) index page already, and from there, you can manipulate it from there, can't you?

but anyways, if you can set your server to process a .css file extension as php and it should work.

Actually save your css file with a php file extension now make sure you put the following code as the very firstline in your css file:
[code]<?php header("Content-type: text/css"); ?>
/*rest of css here*/[/code]
Now you can use PHP code in your style sheet but the stylesheet must be saved with a php file extension and not a css file extension!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.