programming newsletter

Ninjakreborn

If your client wants to send images your email will need to at least be html. Images dont show up in plain text.

pdf is, IMO a bad idea. The files become much larger and (as you asked) they are really just attached to the email.

I will take both of your ideas into consideration, I thank both of you for the advice, the way I like doing something is getting my hands involved a little bit in everything. So I will make sure that I try out both ways numerous times and learn which way is better.
I had another question and don't want to crowd the forums, so I am going to ask it here.
I have heard a lot about 2 things.
cms, and gui interface.
I know one of these has something to do with creating a control panel or something along those lines for a client to be able to easily update his site.
What exactly is it, I picture a control panel like for a web hosting company where they can control all aspects of the site. But what confuses me is I have heard of templates, Where you have a master php script, that controls duplications of php scripts, so you can change them all at once ,I like the idea but don't have a need for that until I start doing major scripts where scripts appear in multiple places, if ever, but what is the difference between templating and gui(if gui is the process of creating the control panel). THis has been confusing me, I was wondering is the gui control panel the same as create a newsletter control panel, is it just a web page that has xhtml, css, and php that have a lot of forms that the owner of the site can control various aspects of the page, or is it an actual program not created in php that is used to mantain the site, like contribute, I wanted to know because for most clients, if they have contribute I can tell them they can update it through there, I use dreamweaver code view all the time, but I can tell the client if they have dreamweaver that is where they can take care of there site from in design view. And if they have frontpage they could change the text around probably with out destroying the coding, but the gui interface(if that's what the control panel is) is confusing me, and I have looked all over the place trying to find informationa bout it. And the main question I have is this something I can program myself, or do I HAVE to buy a 3rd party something to get it done. I like programming everything myself if it is possible, unless it's something major like a huge forum or something.

Hmm, ok so that clears that up, so I know what a template is, by what I have read a template is simply one php script that is a master script to a lot of sub scripts. It is something that allows you to change a bunch of php scripts over a broad range of pages through just one script, what I don't understand is sometimes designers say theya re going to create a website, and a control panel for the client to log in to and control his site, without having to touch the code, what is that, and is it something I could program myself, is it made entirely in php.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--].. a control panel for the client to log in to and control his site, without having to touch the code[/quote]
That is a CMS (another acronym - content management system). As you can deduce from the name, it requires a site 'design' where content is separated from layout, style, etc. so that the 'client' can change content without worrying about the nuts and bolts.

If you have a trivial element over which you want the client to exercise control, write your own mini-CMS (a form and a database table). If you want to write a huge CMS, good luck. Take a look at - or better yet download and install - any one of the simple, free, open source, CMS scripts available. If you want something that doesn't require a rocket scientist to manage content, you might find [a href=\"http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/\" target=\"_blank\"]www.cmsmadesimple.org[/a] well worth a look.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.