PHP to develop internet search engine?

bcamp1973

A client of mine has secured their first round of funding to develop an internet search engine (like Google or Yahoo...not just a site search engine). Now they're ready to develop a proof of concept to pacify current investors and secure more funding. They've come to me to help design the interface and develop the proof of concept.

So, my question is...is it possible to develop an internet search engine (for a demo at least) using only (or mostly) php/javascript???

My googling on this hasn't lead me anywhere. I've tought myself PHP/MySQL/javascript over the past couple years so I'd love to stick with that if possible, but I could pick up another scripting language if required...would love to hear anyone's thoughts or recommendations...even if it's to point me to a good book or online resource. Or to tell me I'm crazy :)

Cheers!

for sure the bulk of google.com is done with php/sql, not even js (well, not needed, anyways.. at least, the search engine part. gmail has some heavy js), as far as storing the information and the user performing the search query, because google keeps this majorly, rediculously huge index of sites. the problem is getting that index. I think you are gonna have to learn some c++ in order to make robots and stuff that actually go out and get that information...

[!--quoteo(post=377242:date=May 26 2006, 03:29 AM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ May 26 2006, 03:29 AM) [snapback]377242[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
...I think you are gonna have to learn some c++ in order to make robots and stuff that actually go out and get that information...
[/quote]

Ugh...i was afraid of that. Picking up PHP was a challenge that I enjoyed, C++ might prove to be a much bigger obstacle. I'm not an academically trained programmer so the more "hard core" languages are a bit intimidating to me. Do you do any C++? If so, have any good book recommendations? That's how I seem to learn the best...

i personally don't know c++. when i was in highschool we started learning c, but that was over 10 years ago. i bought a c++ for dummies book about 6 months ago cuz i wanted to get into c++ but i just haven't gotten around to making a serious effort on that. I have thumbed through the book though, and it teaches you some basics.. but nothin' about robots or hell, even communicating with other computers in general. So to be honest i feel i kinda wasted my money on that, so can give you some book advice on what NOT to buy: c++ for dummies [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /]

seriously though, if you are already decent at php then the syntax for c++ is pretty much the same. so if you're already decent at php then you should probably skip the 'beginner' books and invest in a more complete book. Unless you are new to object oriented programming. Then i suggest going and buying a basic book.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.