mysql install error: mysqld dead but susbsys locked

jacsmith510

Dear Forums, thanks much for this forum. I am trying a first time installation of mysql-3.23.56.1.9-i386.rpm on red hat linux 9.0. I receive an error message unable to connect to mysql.sock when I try to luanch mysql and when I check mysqld status, the error message states mysqld dead but susbsys lock. Please let me know any suggestions and thanks again

when redhat was installed, was the prepackaged mysql installed with it? usually this happens and it is set to run at startup, so when you try to run your installed version there is a problem. if you are unsure run:

ps -aef | grep mysql

also check the hostname.err file in the mysql data directory to attempt to gain more information on the problem.

Dear Effigy, thanks much for your post. You are correct, the mysql was prepackaged when red hat linux 9.0 was installed. When I attempted to install mysql again, the error message stated mysqld was unable to connect to mysql.sock, unable to find host.frm and when I check mysqldadmin status, the error message states:

mysqld dead but subsys locked.

I checked # ps -aef|grep mysql

the resullts were the following:

root 5761 5664 0 11:04 pts/0 00:0The local0:00 grep mysql

Question:

Is ther a way I can safely uninstall everything and do a fresh installl either binary 4.0 or redhat package? Please let me know any suggestions and thanks again

Dear Effigy, thanks much for your support. I followed your suggestion, searched for all datadirs, unistalled the prior package, deleted the var/lib/mysq, var/log/mysqld.log files and the var/lock/subsys/mysql directories. I installed a binary 4.0 distribution for linux ,I unpacked the files into the usr/local/mysql, changed the persmissions, started and stopped the mysqld dameon so far without error. Thanks again for your invaluable posts and this Fourm!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.