PHP Freaks Gurus

We have decided to remove the regular post-based ranks. To replace them we have created a number of guru groups:

• PHP Help
  • OOP
  • Databases
  • Design

The gurus are hand picked by the administrators, moderators and recommended members because they generally make quality posts in their specific areas. They will appear in a yellow-ish color on the online list and have ten stars: starguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gifstarguru.gif

The first gurus are:

PHP Help Gurus

btherl, corbin, GingerRobot, MadTechie, Orio and play_

OOP Gurus

dbo, Jenk, keeB

We have not yet chosen any database or design gurus.

Congratulations to the chosen ones.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now our info is just, well, boring...

How about some different ranks instead?

The problem is that ranks imply knowledge. A post count isn't necessarily a great indicator of that since all the posts could be made up of the person asking questions themselves or giving incorrect/unhelpful answers.

Now our info is just, well, boring...

How about some different ranks instead?

This is done to get rid of the postcount based ranks. Having posted a lot doesn't make anyone deserving of any title.

It's tough for everybody in the middle that was deserving of his postcount based title. Some of you will get Guru status, some won't.

This is probably the right time to point out that the same applies for getting a Guru title as any other title (i.e. admin, mod and recommended): bothering staff about it won't do you any good, rather ruin your chances.

I could care less about a "Status" that the Mods/Admins give out.  I'm talking about just some type of ranking, even if it has nothing to do with PHP Experience.

What would you propose? From where would these rankings be derived--isn't a post count all there is? If so, that brings us back to where we just came from.

I could care less about a "Status" that the Mods/Admins give out.  I'm talking about just some type of ranking, even if it has nothing to do with PHP Experience.

The only thing postcount indicates is (tada...) postcount. Unfortunately even that implies something to some people. So titles that describe the number of posts are already too much.

Altough, some time ago, I proposed something like this:

100 posts - Posted some

500 posts - Posted quite some

1000 posts - We can't seem to get rid of this guy

4000 posts - Keeps growing back like fungus

6000 posts - Worse than roaches

Is that what you had in mind? :P

Personally, I think the colors on here are drab. I don't really reply to here except during on HTML/CSS questions. Member looks more noobish. Having an impressive title, in my opinion, means that you sucked up to the admins and got it. Most of the moderators on here (not all) aren't even all that smart. I've seen recommended PHPfreaks people be much smarter.

sucking up to the admins is exactly how NOT to get an "impressive" title. Not one single member with an "impressive title" here got it by asking. They got it by sticking around, providing helpful answers and a whole load of other things.

Not sure who pissed on your chips, but making wild blanket statements that "most" of the mods arent smart just makes you look a bit silly. For one thing - being a moderator does not automatically mean that we're smarter than you or dumber than admins. It's not even about glory or status, as it's purely based around what we can and can't do around the site. Someone has to keep this place clean and running smooth.

Anyway - can't please everyone.

Having a position of power here does not equate to brain power.  In most cases it does, but in a lot of cases it means you've proven your worth and you can get stuff done.  Hell, I probably haven't answered a help question on this board in close to 6 months.  But someone has to do the administrative tasks and make decisions.

Having an impressive title, in my opinion, means that you sucked up to the admins and got it.

As redbullmarky said, you are completely wrong on that one. I can't really speak for the other admins but when someone tries to suck up to me(never happened here) I get suspicious of what their true intentions are. Each and everyone of the mods have earned their position and have proven them selfs many times over. 

Most of the moderators on here (not all) aren't even all that smart. I've seen recommended PHPfreaks people be much smarter.

I am not a mod but that seemed very offensive. Which mods do you think are not "smart"? Actually, I would have to say that most/all of them are a lot smarter than both me and you.

Personally, I think the colors on here are drab. I don't really reply to here except during on HTML/CSS questions. Member looks more noobish. Having an impressive title, in my opinion, means that you sucked up to the admins and got it. Most of the moderators on here (not all) aren't even all that smart. I've seen recommended PHPfreaks people be much smarter.

Psst... if you say I'm cool then you'll become a moderator ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.