No C compiler?

What do I when I have no C compiler on my vps???

I have tried to build gcc, but (not surpisingly) that doesn't work without a compiler to compile the compiler  :-X

[root@johnkleijn gcc-4.3.0]# ./configure

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking whether ln works... yes

checking whether ln -s works... yes

checking for gcc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cl... no

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See `config.log' for more details.

config.log is huge and nothing useful in there (for me at least, if you think you can help me by looking at it, please say so).

It's (or so I've been told) CentOS. Though it doesn't have yam. apt-get isn't there either. aptitude: no deal either.

The host uses Vituozzo. A little grepping of the rpm database gives this result:

[root@johnkleijn bin]# rpm -qa | grep -P "(libc|cc)"

glibc-2.5-18.el5_1.1

glibc-common-2.5-18.el5_1.1

libcap-1.10-26

vzdummy-glibc-1.0-1.swsoft

libgcc-4.1.2-14.el5

libgcc-4.1.2-14.el5

glibc-2.5-18.el5_1.1

libc-client-2004g-2.2.1

It is pretty difficult to compile anything on a sps. i couldn't get anything to build on my gentoo vps with 512MG of memory.

Ended up moving it to Debian so I could use binary packages.

It could indeed be the case that they don't wont you compiling.

Hmmm. I was afraid of that. I was planning on (among other things) using it for beta client sites, using svn. If I can't install svn (or anything else I please - like tomcat) then it's pretty useless to me. I'd rather not commit to a private server just yet.

Big suck.

I should probably just mail the isp first.

Just because you can't compile doesn't mean you can't install. You just need to use pre-compiled binaries.

I run several vps's using Debian, mostly web, dns and mail servers. I also run svn.

Right. But I don't have a package manager. Ok, I got rpm, but nothing like yast, yum or aptitude...

They do have debian servers as well. I'll see what I can do. It sucks though, I was hoping on getting svn running today.

I would recommend Debian over centOS any day. if you can get a debian system it will have aptitude, from there you can instal whatever you like. It will also be a hell of a lot quicker than building everything from source.

I would recommend Debian over centOS any day. if you can get a debian system it will have aptitude, from there you can instal whatever you like. It will also be a hell of a lot quicker than building everything from source.

Well, supposedly, CentOS has yum by default also. So maybe their Debian vps doesn't have aptitude either.

You could always download the packages from the repos from your own computer and scp them to the server.

Yeah, I just need to find a way to query the repos.

Besides, I don't like CentOS. It doesn't even have the PHP 5.2.x branch in the repos.

Yeah, I noticed it has 5.1 installed. I was getting to that.

Maybe I'll try a different host too, luckily it's only a trial.

I use vpslink if your interested. I'm not sure they have trials though.

I also host my own vps's on a machine at home, so if your real stuck and just want to test some stuff, give me a yell and I'll build you a vps to your specs (to lend).

I use vpslink if your interested. I'm not sure they have trials though.

I need a Amsterdam based host, preferable directly on AMS-IX.

I also host my own vps's on a machine at home, so if your real stuck and just want to test some stuff, give me a yell and I'll build you a vps to your specs (to lend).

Thanks for the offer, but unless you can fix something up in the next 1 to 1.5 hours, I'm no longer in a hurry. Really appreciate the gesture though, you rock.

Thanks for the offer, but unless you can fix something up in the next 1 to 1.5 hours, I'm no longer in a hurry. Really appreciate the gesture though, you rock.

Man, I won't even be home for another 3 and then Id'e have to adjust my firewall and do a few other things before I could get you a login. Not a problem though.

In three hours it's already 11PM over here. I have to get up at 5:30AM tomorrow (and walk 2 kilometres to because the bus company is on strike). I need 6 hours of sleep at the very least, so that's cutting it really close.

I'll have to pass and just rely on my irresistible charm tomorrow :P

Thanks again though.

Edit: it has apt, not aptitude. But, installed aptitude using apt-get.

As far as I know, APT (Advanced Packaging Tool) is the libraries whereas aptitude, apt-get, apt-cache, Synaptic Package Manager (GUI tool), etc. are front-ends for APT.

Yeah, I had been an apt-get fan untill I started using sid and I needed more controll. aptitude has alot more features including a safe-upgrade option, just makes things a littl easier to maintain. I don't normally bother calling the ncurses version (thought it comes in hadny at times), you can invoke all the options you need from the command line.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.