Count Array

avo

HI all

im sure thers is a simple answer for this one been trying to figure it out for a hour now but still can't find my answer

all it is im connecting to a db
grabbing info where the $_SESSION user is pressent to pull in all the id number information a
all i wish to do then is echo out how may id's i have pulled out of the db (in one number a count)

code i can get to work to echo out all the id's but i can not count them

ive been using count ()
my code is :

[code]mysql_connect ($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass);
mysql_select_db ($dbname) or die ( mysql_error ());
$query = "SELECT id FROM user_messages WHERE username= '".$_SESSION['user']."'";
$result = mysql_query ($query) or die ( mysql_error () );
while ( $x = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
echo $x['id'];    
}[/code]

in place of echo $x['id'] ; i would just like to echo out the number of times id has been pulled from the db

thanks in advance

[!--quoteo(post=377656:date=May 27 2006, 01:36 PM:name=Barand)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Barand @ May 27 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]377656[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[code]$query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM user_messages WHERE username= '{$_SESSION['user']}' ";

$res = mysql_query($query);

$message_count = mysql_result($res, 0);[/code]
[/quote]
Yeah Barand's code is nice but if you want your query to return more than the count you would have to mess with GROUP BY and I don't like the idea of using it :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.