Problem with time and modular (%)

DaVuLf

I would suggest installing one of the pre-packaged Apache/PHP/MySQL packages that are out. I use [a href=\"http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html\" target=\"_blank\"]xampp[/a] on my laptop (WinXP) for development.

Ken

the problem with 'pre-packaged' is that you are stuck with what ever versions of php and mysql that, say xampp have packaged. This makes updates, and other things limited.

What if the production server has a older( or newer) version of mysql (or maybe php) and you need compatability. Will xammp have what you need? Simple things like that become important real fast.

they are easiy to install, I'll give them that, but that is the only benifit I see with using a pre-packaged server/database.
Might as well use ISS... But we all know that blows.

I'm not familiar with anything. On my Godaddy server I have mySql 3.x with the newest PHP version. I don't think it really matters with my code though.

If you guys think that xammp is the easiest/best way, then I will take that advice.

[!--quoteo(post=378142:date=May 29 2006, 11:31 AM:name=DaVuLf)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DaVuLf @ May 29 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]378142[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm not familiar with anything. On my Godaddy server I have mySql 3.x with the newest PHP version. I don't think it really matters with my code though.

If you guys think that xammp is the easiest/best way, then I will take that advice.
[/quote]

xampp would be the easiest for your needs, if it is the best is a whole different topic.

The easiest method to do anything doesn't mean it is the best.

Download / Install apache... any version you want
download PHP.... any version you want
Configure apache to use php.
install mysql...any version you want

This might not be the easiest method.

xampp may be a great application, they claim easy setup...
I never used it before, and have not heard many complaints

I like knowing how things work.
I figure by setting up these seperately will help me understand them better.

[!--quoteo(post=378235:date=May 29 2006, 06:46 PM:name=Ferenc)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ferenc @ May 29 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]378235[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I like knowing how things work.
I figure by setting up these seperately will help me understand them better.
[/quote]

You're probably right. Is apache hard to configure and set up though, like, is it sort of open-source based where you need to code everything in it (like linux?).

Edit: The newest version of xampp doesn't look too bad.

[code]
    * Apache 2.2.2
    * MySQL 5.0.21
    * PHP 5.1.4
    * phpMyAdmin 2.8.1
    * XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.3
    * FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.16c
[/code]

Better versions than the ones on my current server.

Okay, so I think I've got this set up. Now I was wondering how I access the .php files stored in my homedir from firefox on another computer (connected on the LAN).

I can't just type 192.168.0.1/index.php because that doesn't work.

Thanks! Oh, Ferenc, I added you to MSN.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.