[SOLVED] PHP sql 2005 error: could not locate entry in sysdatabases...

I am having an issue with php and my 2005 sql server. When i connect to the database via visual basic through an excel macro i can connect just fine and do whatever i want to get the data i need.  When i try to connect using php code i am getting the "Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'mydb'/ No entry found with that name.

I have tried connecting using windows autentication and SQL. Same issue. I did have to replace a dlll for php because of a known issue with mssql and php 5. I am also connecting using the port address of the server in the sql_connect.  Also the server is an named instance and not the default instance.  I am at a loss as to what is causing the issue.  The same code worked on a sql 2000 server with php 5. This 2000 sql is on the same server as the 2005 in another instance.

Here is what i am using to connect to the server:

$server = "192.168.1.9\\instance,1433";
$username = "someuser";
$password = "somepassword";
$sqlconnect = mssql_connect($server, $username, $password) or DIE("Can't Connect to server.");
$sqldb = mssql_select_db('MyDB', $sqlconnect);

oh on a side note when i run a  sp_helpdb against master i can see the DB i am trying to connect to listed.

Ok more info.. I think i foudn what is going on but trying to figure out how to fix. It looks like the code is only looking at the default server instance and not the named. i connected to the database and ran a select on the master.dbo.sysdatabases through the code and it is showing DBs from the default instance.  So we are getting closer. 

Wow the issue was a combination of permission and weirdness. When i tried to connect using the instance name and port it would connect to the default instance of sql 2000 on the server. When i got rid fo the port # it connected up to the correct instance. That was AFTER i did some permission changes and such.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.