How to ECHO SELECT(*) COUNT VALUE?

BaconBeast321

Hi there, I am using this:

$count = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) from announcements");

But I don't know how to get a variable with the value of the number of record pulled from the table.

I tried to echo("$count") just got resource ID#3
then tried : $countz= $count[announcements];

still nothing..

[!--quoteo(post=377970:date=May 28 2006, 09:49 PM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ May 28 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]377970[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
$count = mysql_query("select count(*) as blah from announcements");

$num = mysql_fetch_array($count);

echo $num['blah'];
[/quote]

sweet thanks man, worked a charm! I now have one last problem, I want this select query to find out how many there are in the table then if there is zero , apply the new announcment with identifier value of 1
and if 1 in table apply 2 to the value. e.t.c I have it working but, instead of just adding one value to the array it adds all 10 lol heres the script : /

<?php

$count = mysql_query("select count(*) as identifier from announcements");

$num = mysql_fetch_array($count);

$identy = $num["identifier"];

echo("$identy");

if($identy = ">9") {

$insert10= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '11')");

}

if($identy = ">8") {

$insert10= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '10')");

}

if($identy = ">7") {

$insert9= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '9')");

}

if($identy = ">6") {

$insert8= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '8')");

}

if($identy = ">5") {

$insert7= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '7')");

}

if($identy = ">4") {

$insert6= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '6')");

}

if($identy = ">3") {

$insert5= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '5')");

}

if($identy = ">2") {

$insert4= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '4')");

}

if($identy = ">1") {

$insert3= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '3')");

}

if($identy = ">0") {

$insert2= MYSQL_QUERY("INSERT INTO announcements (id, username, announcements, date, identifier)".
"VALUES ('NULL', '$username', '$newannounce', '$cdate', '2')");

}

?>

Are you trying to check whether $identy is equal to or greate than a certain number in your if statements? If you are you are doing it the wrong way! Inseat compering the current value of $identy with a value you are assigning a value to $identy!

one equal (=) sign is the assignment operator
two equal (==) signs is the comparision operator

Now since you are using an = sign in all your if statements they are doing to be returning true as PHP was successfull in assigning $identy with the value ">9", ">8", ">7" etc in every iuf statement you had

Now if you want to compare something you'll want to do this:
[code]if($foo == $bar) {
    // true
} else {
    // false
}[/code]
So you will want to add an extra = sign in each if statement.

But I think what you are doing is seeing whether $identy is equal or greather than something? If you are then you'll want to do this:
[code]if($identy >= "9") {
    //do something
}[/code]

Also you might want to look in to [a href=\"http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.elseif.php\" target=\"_blank\"]if/elseif[/a] statements. However I belive you can do away with all the if statement and use just one query!

Hey, thanks wildteen that double "==" worked a treat!!! Sorry I didnt really explain myself that well, this page is for a user for announcment privlages who can add an announcment in a form.

The Info from the form is turned into a variable, and since I only want their to be 10 anonuncments max on the main page, I figured running an if statement for counting and inserting values would be the way to do it.

It seems to be working now, I will put in a delete function so when count brings back 10 values, it will automatically delete the oldest colum... not really sure how to do that...

Thanks also for your response AndyB, I am not sure if i need all these queries but since I am so new to PHP I couldn't figure out a cleaner method of achieiving this....

I am also hoping that when I echo the announcement to a table on the main page that the data will come out ok and that I can restrict the table size so the "privalged user" doesn't have to use much html when writing the message...

Thanks alot guys! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.