Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gish

textfile radiobuttons

It is official I am going nuts
I am a beginner i php5. I got on the net and down loaded a lot of information. after reading the info. I decided to start
forms. That easy enough. I can email it myself without a problem. The I decided that I would write to a text file on the
apache2 server. I found some code of the net and that was easy enough. if you are writing text. put for three months I have
been trying to get this php code to write its self to a text file on the server. I am sure at it is very easy.

In the <head> I have been trying to get the variable $question to change value and then write and I cannot do it
please can anyone help. Or even a tut that will break it down step by step

P.s. the next step for me I though was Mysql but i have been reading that mysql would be adquate for a beginner is this true
does anyone have an opinion.

Sorry P.S
Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to for beginners in php

<html>
<head>

<title>Sample</title>
</head>
<body>
<FORM method="POST" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">

<?php
echo '<input type="radio" name="gender" value= $Question1 = "1" checked />1 unsure<br>';
echo '<input type="radio" name="gender" value= $Question1 = "2" />2 Thats true<br>';
echo '<input type="radio" name="gender" value= $Question1 = "3" />3 I never thought<br>';
echo '<input type="radio" name="gender" value= $Question1 = "4" />4 Nice one<br>';
?>
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" value="Send data">

</body>
</html>

I can't understand what is your problem. You don't need the $Question1 variable in there. Besides, the string is enclosed by single quotes, so it's not interpolated what means $Question1 would actually do nothing.

Also, there is no such thing in HTML like value= something = "1".

Simply value="1" is enough, assuming you just want to know the user's choice.

[!--quoteo(post=378004:date=May 29 2006, 02:16 AM:name=poirot)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(poirot @ May 29 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]378004[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I can't understand what is your problem. You don't need the $Question1 variable in there. Besides, the string is enclosed by single quotes, so it's not interpolated what means $Question1 would actually do nothing.

Also, there is no such thing in HTML like value= something = "1".

Simply value="1" is enough, assuming you just want to know the user's choice.
[/quote]

It sounds like i am trying to hard. if I am on the same wave lenght all i the number is suficent enough. so when it gets submited it reads the valued that is selected by the user. Then I have grab that info and send it. I am sorry poirot as I said I am only a beginner.

No problem.

When you have a group of radio buttons like this:
[code]<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="banana"> Banana
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="apple"> Apple
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="lemon"> Lemon[/code]
and the user selects for example "apple" when posted to PHP it gives you $_POST['fruit'] = 'apple';

[code]
<html>
<head>
<title>Favourite Fruit</title>
</head>
<body>

<p><strong>Question 1:</strong> What is your favourite fruit?
<p><FORM method="POST" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Apple" checked />Apple<br>
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Banana" />Banana<br>
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Grape" />Grape<br>
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Orange" />Orange<br>

</body>
</html>
[/code]

Did you mean to do something like this? This asks that user their favourite fruit. They choose one of the options and click "Send" and it stores their answer in a text file.

Is that what you were trying to do?

[!--quoteo(post=378185:date=May 29 2006, 12:44 PM:name=ale_jrb)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ale_jrb @ May 29 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]378185[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Did you mean to do something like this? This asks that user their favourite fruit. They choose one of the options and click "Send" and it stores their answer in a text file.

[/quote]
Actually I was giving him an example [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
Obviously you'd need the form, the submit button and so on, but I was justing showing him the basics of radio buttons.

[!--quoteo(post=378185:date=May 29 2006, 02:44 PM:name=ale_jrb)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ale_jrb @ May 29 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]378185[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[code]
<html>
<head>
<title>Favourite Fruit</title>
</head>
<body>

<p><strong>Question 1:</strong> What is your favourite fruit?
<p><FORM method="POST" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Apple" checked />Apple<br>
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Banana" />Banana<br>
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Grape" />Grape<br>
<input type="radio" name="fruit" value="Orange" />Orange<br>

</body>
</html>
[/code]

Did you mean to do something like this? This asks that user their favourite fruit. They choose one of the options and click "Send" and it stores their answer in a text file.

[/quote]

this is exactly what i was looking for. but this raises an issiue when you use a submit button
does the submit button gather all the in information with in the form and then send it the server.
witth this code

<FORM method="POST" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">

if so when it sends how do I manipulte it.

not sure how this works

"<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>

Iam sure that it is very easy when you know now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.