PHP Connections

ChompGator

I want to display data on my webpage that is in one of my columns in my database.

Im using this script to do it, and the data is not showing up - Can anyone help?

<?

$host="localhost"; // Host name

$username="test"; // Mysql username

$password="****"; // Mysql password

$db_name="****"; // Database name

$tbl_name="****"; // Table name

echo $_SESSION['new'];

?>

Yep, actually I just wanted to make it simple for people to understand...

At the top of my page I have a

<?

session_start();

?>

Then later down the page, I want to display the data from the database - so Im using this

<?php echo $_SESSION['award']."

Its not called 'new' I shouldn't of put that on there, just was trying to simplify it ha, but yeah that is what Im doing - What I just described

Well I haven't had to use any

sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name";

$result=mysql_query($sql);

$rows=mysql_fetch_array($result);

So far Im just using the echo $_session

and its working for me showing the first name and last names, I just went a few more lines down the page, and now Im trying to displaying something different and its not working

Are you having trouble understanding...

I have a

<? php session_start(); ?>

At the top of my page...

Next, I have

<?php echo $_SESSION['first_name']." ".$_SESSION['last_name'];?>

To show the user's name and last name

Then I have a

<?php echo $_SESSION['award']; ?>

To show the award name the employee has gotten.

The question was - Why is it not working is there some sort of error in my code...But there wasnt. 

I hope that helps you understand what Im asking in a very straight forward manner.

Help Forums are for users to help one another...Code posted does not ALWAYS necessarily have to work, go read through some of the other topics you'll see not everyone's code works, hence why they're asking for help. So when you tell me to post code that 'actually works' I respectfully disagree with what you said - not everyones code has to work.

Anyway > I have fixed the problem, and believe it or not > it was a MySQL problem, something I had messed up in PHPMyAdmin.

Thanks

I am really confused. If appears you are trying to output text variables (firstname, lastname, award). You are ECHOing session data. Yet you say your data is stored in the database. So which is it?

$_SESSION['award'] = "Medal of Honor";

You would then..

echo $SESSION['award'];

which would output "Medal of Honor".

However, if you are storing the data in a database that is a whole 'nother story. I think you are mixing sessions and databases up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.