Basic table layout.

the_oliver

Hello,

Im trying to get to grips with css at the moment, but im haveing a little trouble getting a table to do what i want it to!

Im trying to create a table which takes up the whole of the browser window.  It should also have a 2px blue border down the right and left side, and leave no space at the top or bottom...

However i get a table which fills most of the way accross, but leaves and edge, (not blue!), and does not touch the top or bottom of the page!

My Code is:

<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
background-color: #E6E6E6;
}
.main_table {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
border-left: 10px;
border-right: 10px;
border-right-color:#1A4390;
border-left-colour:#1A4390;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
top: 0px;
}
-->
</style></head>
<body>
<table class="main_table">
  <tr>
    <td> </td>
  </tr>
</table>

Can any one point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks!

U can set margin and padding to 0 for the body to remove all the unwanted space from the browser window:

body{
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
}

The height of an element is dynamic to the content inside that element. So setting a height:100% is pointless. There are ways to overcome this but it isnt actually a good idea. If ure using the table for tabular data then its ok, otherwise use divs for a pure css approach.

if you are just getting started with css then I would suggest you use this opportunity to drop table based layouts also.

the height of an element is dictated either by an absolute value or a percentage of its parents available space - IMO height should NEVER be defined for any element that will have variable amounts of content within....

• 3 weeks later...

I gave you the answer you asked for! Everything on the page can be laid out using CSS. They are style sheets - they are used to style the page.

To see an example of what I am talking about, download firefox (if you don't already have it), then download the 'web developer toolbar' plug-in. Next go to yahoo.com, and when you are there, the in the web developer tool bar, click css -> disable styles -> all styles. This turns off the CSS for the page, and you can see what an unstyled tableless page looks like.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.