Auto Updating PHP Pages

andrewgarn

How hard is this to implement?

I want to write a PHP script that will update every day (automatically without the page loading manually in a browser) from a html page.

It would stick the information retrieved from the html page and insert it into a MySQL database which would then be echoed onto the page using mysql select queries when a user loads the page.

I can do all the mysql stuff.

But i dont know how to make the dynamic updating part work? Can anyone explain if this is possible / where I should look to learn this?

If u are on a linux environment then u can use cron to schedule the execution of your php script. Your hosting provider (if ure on virtual or dedicated hosting thats not a problem) should have any guide on how to create a cron job, but it shouldnt be difficult. If u cant find it, then ask the hosting company. Otherwise if ure on windows, i know only that it can be done with Scheduled Tasks, but have no idea on windows server technology.

And no u dont need to install anything and its not a php function obviously.

EDIT: Oops i just saw that ure on windows vista. Is that a local environment as why in the world should u use vista for a production server?

Ok so basically I need a linux server or a deidicated host on the web?

I don't have any money to pay for web hosting at the moment, do you know of any free hosting sites that support 777 chmod? and well as supporting php with mySQL connections either to a local database or to db4free.net?

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.