Mysql Complicated Relations

radalin

Hi,

I'm curious to learn how is mysql with relations. But I'm not talking about simple ones. I'm intended to learn how is it's perfomance when realtions get complicated (like a relation with b, b relation with c, c relation with d and go on...) and relation numbers and db size increase a lot, can I ecnounter any problems? Or any bugs can occur like broken relationships or nothing happens instead of an operation with relations.

What kind of problems can I encounter using mysql in a big project. What are the differences of InnoDB and MyISAM in a big project. What are they advantages. Why should I choose one of them?

Thanks.

That's a very complicated question. In general, complexity grows as a function of the number of relations. That is, you'll need to JOIN in more tables, and so on. MySQL has no "problem" with this -- you'll just have to be more careful about choosing (covering) indexes properly, keeping tables fixed-width, not NULL, etc. to keep queries running optimally.

As far as broken relationships, it's up to you -- InnoDB can enforce FK constaints, while MyISAM does not. There are arguments to be made for both; it really depends how your tables will be used (mostly reads vs writes).

Hope that helps a bit.

So the thing is up to me. How good I made my architecture. Well is there a tutorial or tips&tricks on how to make a good relational db.
And yes your post really helped a lot :) At least now I don't worry about my choice. Thanks :)

Any primer on database normalization is a good start -- you'd better have your tables in 2NF or better. How far to go really depends on your application. I know I'm saying that a lot, but it's true. Of course, any and all questions you have as they relate to your specific needs are always welcome.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.