Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonymousbob

PHP Syntax Error

I am using Dreamweaver to build a mySQL-PHP website. An update record page with two dynamic menus is not functioning - it shows the error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_BAD_CHARACTER, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in [i][!--coloro:#666666--][span style=\"color:#666666\"][!--/coloro--]updatepage[[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]/i].php on line 218

[b]Recordset info:[/b]
rsVoter: calling record to be updated
rsPrecincts: calls dynamic menu #1's info

[b]line 218 reads:[/b]

<option value="<?php echo $row_rsPrecincts['votingprecinct_id']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_rsPrecincts['votingprecinct_id'], "$row_rsVoter[\'votingprecinct_id\']"))) {echo "SELECTED";} ?>><?php echo $row_rsPrecincts['precinctname']?></option>

[b]and it is followed on the next line by:[/b]

<?php
} while ($row_rsPrecincts = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsPrecincts));
$rows = mysql_num_rows($rsPrecincts);
if($rows > 0) {
mysql_data_seek($rsPrecincts, 0);
$row_rsPrecincts = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsPrecincts);
}
?>

[b]Is there a glaring syntax error on line 218 that my untrained eye has missed?[/b]

try this one:
[code]
<option value="<?php echo $row_rsPrecincts['votingprecinct_id']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_rsPrecincts['votingprecinct_id'], $row_rsVoter['votingprecinct_id']))) {echo "SELECTED";} ?>><?php echo $row_rsPrecincts['precinctname']?></option>
[/code]

Thanks, Honoré, that did the trick! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=378330:date=May 30 2006, 04:14 AM:name=Honoré)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Honoré @ May 30 2006, 04:14 AM) [snapback]378330[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
try this one:
[code]
<option value="<?php echo $row_rsPrecincts['votingprecinct_id']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_rsPrecincts['votingprecinct_id'], $row_rsVoter['votingprecinct_id']))) {echo "SELECTED";} ?>><?php echo $row_rsPrecincts['precinctname']?></option>
[/code]
[/quote]

Hi, I'm a little new to PHP, not so much dreamweaver, and i was wondering, how did you know that, that was the mistake? can you please explain more about it.. thanks..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.