Average?

Tony

I have a a few columns containing numerical values. I want to have a column that would contain the average of some of these columns.

I have a picture, maybe it\'ll explain it better.

db.jpg

I would like the \"webave\" column to contain the averages of \"info\" and \"design\" columns.

and I\'d like the \"totalave\" column to contain the average of \"skill\", \"activity\", \"pedi\" and \"webave\" columns.

Is that even possible?

I\'m a newbie at this database stuff so please be easy :?

Regards,

Tony[/img]

I want it to calculate \"all by itself\"

The skill, activity, pedi, info and design values will be inserted from outside and when they are inserted I want mysql to input the average in the right column.

I looked around and saw that there\'s an average function in mysql but with my low mysql skills I don\'t know how to use it.

If you just insert the other values before the calculations, then it can be done in sql.

INSERT (\'Start\' = 5, \'End\' = 8, \'Distance\' = (End-Start)

(this is pseudo pseudo sql... check the correct synax in the manual):

Here\'s a little help from the manual:

# An expression may refer to any column that was set earlier in a value list. For example, you can say this:

mysql> INSERT INTO tbl_name (col1,col2) VALUES(15,col1*2);

Check the syntax:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/INSERT.html

P.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.