relative positioning?

michaellunsford

I have a grasp of CSS basics, but I'm still green. Just trying to migrate away from tables.

First step: 800x600 background image centered with CSS. Works great. Now, I want to position a div on top of the background image on a very specific spot. Since the background is centered, can I make something relative to center?

Hi there,

You could do what moberemk suggested and use a div to surround everything else and use margin:auto You should also use text-align:center for it to work in IE. To make it show up 250 px right, i suppose you can set position:relative and set right:250px

The problem is the vertical-alignment. if i am not wrong, css at the moment still lacks support for vertical alignment of elements in a div. There are several workarounds for this which can be easily googled.

I have never liked these workarounds and hacks and so have, (sadly) returned to the table method once in a while.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.