[SOLVED] Removing linebreak code from beginning of code.

BillyBoB

I am trying to format the selection so that it can't have any linebreaks before the starting of the text. The problem is that in the selection before the text there can other html codes. I just want to remove only the

<br/>

codes.

Any ideas?

That doesn't work either. Its the same exact regex. I need the html to stay as html. I want just the <br/> to be deleted until the first actual output letter or number.

So:

<br/><html><head></head><body><br/><br/>a<br/></body></html>

Changes to:

<html><head></head><body>a<br/></body></html>

Gotcha; the forum-botched HTML wasn't helping. htmlspecialchars is used to show the result.

<pre>
<?php
$data = '<br/><html><head></head><body><br/><br/>a<br/></body></html>';
$pieces = preg_split('%(?<=>)(?!\s+<)([^<>]+)(?=<)%', $data, 2, PREG_SPLIT_DELIM_CAPTURE);
$pieces[0] = str_replace('<br/>', '', $pieces[0]);
$data = join('', $pieces);
echo htmlspecialchars($data);
?>
</pre>

Actually, it could be reduced to:

$pieces = preg_split('%(?<=>)(?!\s*<)%', $data, 2);

(?<=...) is a positive lookbehind which is used to match a position rather than a character. Thus, (?<=>) means "Is there a '>' preceding this position?" If true, we know we're just beyond the ending of a tag. From here we look to see if content exists with (?!\s*<), which is a negative lookahead. That is, the match is successful if the position is not followed by 0 to ∞ (theoretically) instances of whitespace (\s*), followed by an opening tag.

For further information see http://www.regular-expressions.info or continue questioning.

It is deleting too much.

This is what I have to remove the line breaks, in earlier code I formatted the line breaks \n into [ br].

<?php
$pieces = preg_split('%(?<=>)(?!\s*<)%', $selection, 2, PREG_SPLIT_DELIM_CAPTURE);
$pieces[0] = str_replace('[br]', '', $pieces[0]);
return join('', $pieces);
?>

From my observations this doesn't work at all. It just deletes all the line breaks in the whole selection.

This is selecting the whole text. I want it only to select the info behind the first actually literal outside of the <> brackets.

Alright the reasoning for the confusion is that the input data is going to be unexpected. Because the user is the one to place in the data.

Example Data:

[ code]

<?php

echo \$string;

?>

[ /code]

Without the spaces of course this is the data that gave me the unexpected outcome. Actually I take back there being any html tags all should be bbcode tags.

The problem I have is if somebody use a lot of tags and spaces them out with line breaks I don't want them to appear if it is in he front of the message.

Example:

[ table]

[ tr]

[ td]

info here [ b]Hi[ /b]

[ /td]

[ /tr]

[ /table]

This will display something like:

info here  Hi

<pre>
<?php
echo $data = <<<DATA
[table]
  [tr]
    [td]
      info here [b]Hi[/b]
    [/td]
  [/tr]
[/table]
DATA;
echo '<hr>';
$pieces = preg_split('%(?<=\])(?>\s*)(?!\[)%', $data, 2);
$pieces[0] = preg_replace('/(?<=\])\s+(?=\[)/', '', $pieces[0]);
$data = join('', $pieces);
echo $data;
?>
</pre>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.