[SOLVED] TITLE Tag blooper

jaymc

Forget my reasons, im having a nightmare with php and dynamic pages in which I need to generat the html <title> tag

I had a brain storm, if I put the <title><? echo $hurray; ?></title> before </body></html> I get what I want

I have checked in IE and FIREFOX and they both read the title tag no problems at all

However, the reason for all of this is for google, will google have any issues pulling out my title if its all the way down at the bottom of the page, more importantly, not in the head?

I know its not best practice and probably un heard of, but the circumstances of time have led me to this

Can I get away with it, rather dirty?

If it is showing up, then you can probably get away with it. However, it's recommended to have the title tag the very first thing in the head of your document, so you are definitely going against best practices here. I also don't know if your code will validate in this way.

Why is it that you want to put it at the end of your script?

the title tag is ONLY allowed in the head section of your page. It defines the TITLE of your document that will show in the title bar of the window it is NOT for content markup purposes!!!!!

But putting it after </body> and before </html> does display it in the title bar in both firefox and IE

So, zero issues, apart from if google does not read it..

have you tried validating your markup jay?

if your php is set up in such a way so as to prevent you from using markup properly then its not very useful or robust code...

just using (x)html as intended is not difficult and should be done as a matter of course failure shows a distinct lack of professionalism on the developers part.  Just because it doesn't cause a problem in the browsers you use does not mean it won't break in others...

and if google doesn't see it your page ranking WILL suffer.

I have my code set out like this

index.php :

<html><head><title></title></head>

<body>

TABLES ETC HERE FOR BANNER

<div><? echo include("webpages/page.php"); ?></div>

</body>
</html>

The problem is, inside page.php is raw html and some mixed php. Because the html is not defined within the PHP when I use include it dumps the contents of page.php inside the div. To get the title coming frm page.php, i would need to include page.php before the head of the master index.php

In doing this, the contents of page.php are outputed inside the <head>

I tried using ob_start() to buffer the output, but in doing that, I was unable to retrieve the $pageTitle variable which was set inside of page.php

Just to note, there are about 200 page.php type files, so not so feasable to go in and change it all, especially the way i have mixed raw html and php within those files, rather than all html inside php variables

:)

I have my code set out like this

index.php :

<html><head><title></title></head>

<body>

TABLES ETC HERE FOR BANNER

<div><? echo include("webpages/page.php"); ?></div>

</body>
</html>

The problem is, inside page.php is raw html and some mixed php. Because the html is not defined within the PHP when I use include it dumps the contents of page.php inside the div. To get the title coming frm page.php, i would need to include page.php before the head of the master index.php

In doing this, the contents of page.php are outputed inside the <head>

I tried using ob_start() to buffer the output, but in doing that, I was unable to retrieve the $pageTitle variable which was set inside of page.php

Just to note, there are about 200 page.php type files, so not so feasable to go in and change it all, especially the way i have mixed raw html and php within those files, rather than all html inside php variables

:)

All I have to say is that you designed the website extremely poorly. This "band-aid" solution is good for so long. .. until Yahoo! and google release their bots that look after semantics!  ; ;)

I generally set up a function with a switch statement in it that outputs the title of the page. For example:

function page_title($page_name)
{
   switch($page_name)
      case $page_name = "index.php";
         echo "my_site.com: Index"; 
         break;
      case $page_name = "about_us.php";
         echo "my_site.com: About Us";
         break;
}

Then I call the function inside my title tags:

<title><?php page_title(get_page_name()); ?></title>

note: I also have a function, called get_page_name, that gets the current page name as you can see in the example there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.