Call a php script on another server?

rabbit_fufu

Hi everyone, hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I'm writing a couple of php scripts for creating temporary urls for file downloads.

Here's how it works, sort of...

There are 2 files: generate.php & download.php

generate.php creates a hash that references the file to be downloaded.

Then, when the hash is passed to download.php like so...

download.php?hash=thehashstring

The file is fed to the browser.

No problem so far. Here's the catch...

I need to call generate.php from a script on a completely different server, something like this...

Master Script on Server A calls generate.php script on Server B...
A new hash is returned to the Master Script on Server A by generate.php on Server B...
Master Script on Server A then ouputs the download url using the newly generated hash.

I'm a bit unclear just how one goes about this in php -- having 2 scripts talk to each other on different servers. Also, I will need to set this up in such a way so that it is relatively secure. IOW, generate.php will only generate and return a new hash if it is being called by the Master Script on Server A. (If it is called from a different server, or directly through a browser, then it wont generate a new hash.)

Any suggestions as to how to best achieve this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

What you can do is link both servers together with a MySQL database (making them both access the same db). Then you can access anything generated by a server on another, and the user won't even realize that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.