Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pwdrskier4

Need help with SQL Query

I have two tables (mls and geodata) that each have mls numbers as primary key. I am trying to return all off the records in table mls where the mls number does not have a row in geodata. My current statement is returning too many records. I have 8 records in mls and 3 records in geodata (all of which match an mls # in table mls) so I should get 5 records returned but instead get 21 (8 * 3 minus the 3 matches). Can anyone help?

[code]SELECT mls.mls_num, geodata.geodata_mls
FROM mls, geodata
WHERE mls.mls_num != geodata.geodata_mls
ORDER BY mls_num ASC[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=378795:date=May 31 2006, 11:21 AM:name=bill444)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(bill444 @ May 31 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]378795[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I have two tables (mls and geodata) that each have mls numbers as primary key. I am trying to return all off the records in table mls where the mls number does not have a row in geodata. My current statement is returning too many records. I have 8 records in mls and 3 records in geodata (all of which match an mls # in table mls) so I should get 5 records returned but instead get 21 (8 * 3 minus the 3 matches). Can anyone help?

[code]SELECT mls.mls_num, geodata.geodata_mls
FROM mls, geodata
WHERE mls.mls_num != geodata.geodata_mls
ORDER BY mls_num ASC[/code]
[/quote]

Try something like this:
SELECT mls.mls_num FROM mls LEFT JOIN geodata ON (mls.mls_num = geodata.geodata_mls) WHERE geodata.geodata_mls is NULL;

Let me know how it goes.

Jon Tjemsland

[!--quoteo(post=378806:date=May 31 2006, 01:04 PM:name=Jon Tjemsland)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Jon Tjemsland @ May 31 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]378806[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Try something like this:
SELECT mls.mls_num FROM mls LEFT JOIN geodata ON (mls.mls_num = geodata.geodata_mls) WHERE geodata.geodata_mls is NULL;

[/quote]

That totally worked, thank you so much. I actually had already solved my issue by dumping the #'s from the geodata table into an array and then comparing them to the #'s from mls table but this is much simpler. Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.