How to execute linux commands through a php program?

lalitmishra

How to execute linux commands through a php program?  :-

1- I am taking a 'C' program as input in PHP program. I want execute it directly through PHP means linux commands 'gcc' should be executed directly through our php program and out put should be displayed on our php page.

2- Execution of linux Commands like VMSTAT in our php program. How to execute it through php program.

Please reply soon.

• 2 months later...

Checkout http://php.net/ref.exec . You need to be very careful when using any of the program execution functions. IMHO, if you did not already know where to look in the manual for them you shouldn't use them in a live application. If all user input is not cleaned your server could easily get owned.

I am "ok" with PHP.

But, I've read all this and haven't a clue. I know it is lazy, but could someone just give me a script that performs one shell command:

i.e

<?php

XXX start

perform_shell('enter-shell-here');

XXX end

?>

Would really appreciate - surely other people struggle with this ???

• 4 weeks later...

what the original posting entered is not that hard. For example, somebody submits a textarea filled with 'C++' Code. You take that code and save it to the file temp.C. You then run exec('gcc temp.C'). That solution should be very safe. However, that particular code may not be how you use gcc, as I still am having problems setting up linux (waiting for Ubuntu 8.10).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.