The Heck?

WinnieThePujols

For some reason, two tables from the same database where completely wiped out. I have no idea how this happened. There were other tables in the same database that were completely unaffected...

I do know that one guy had access to both of them (and would have been the most recent to use them), but he would have had no malicious intent and is no where near saavy-enough to have done anything... and any access he had to them would have been purely through web-based applications that I made for him. He can only add stuff through them, too... he can't delete.

Any idea what could have happened? When I run...

"SELECT * FROM literature.recaps r;"

In the query browser, I get:
"The query could not be executed."
And just beneath that part is..
"! Can't find file: 'recaps.MYI' (errno: 2)

Thanks for the help. Not really a big loss if these are gone, but I'd like to know what could have went wrong so I can prevent anything like that from happening again.

[!--quoteo(post=379234:date=Jun 1 2006, 09:30 PM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Jun 1 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]379234[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Wiped out how? The MYD files didn't vanish, right? If the index is corrupted, that can be fixed. Please clarify.
[/quote]

"SELECT * FROM recaps r;" returns..
[img src=\"http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3728/error8tf.jpg\" border=\"0\" alt=\"IPB Image\" /]

I guess I don't know how to answer that. Where are the MYD files stored, phsyically-speaking? I don't know how to check that through like an FTP. I've always used GUI programs like the Query Browser so I don't really know.

But anyway, the screenshot it when I try to query the table and get all of the rows.. and it says it can't be executed.

Edit:
Well, I dd some looking into it. It says that if other repair methods don't work (a missing .MYI) I could try this:

REPAIR TABLE literature.06draft USE_FRM

Unfortunately, it doesn't work... it errors out!

See I'm reading up on this, but I don't understand why the USE_FRM repair doesn't work. This is from the MySQL site:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]There is also a USE_FRM mode available for REPAIR TABLE. Use this if the .MYI index file is missing or if its header is corrupted. In this mode, MySQL re-creates the .MYI file using information from the .frm file. This kind of repair cannot be done with myisamchk. Note: Use this mode only if you cannot use regular REPAIR modes. The .MYI header contains important table metadata (in particular, current AUTO_INCREMENT value and Delete link) that are lost in REPAIR ... USE_FRM. Don't use USE_FRM if the table is compressed because this information is also stored in the .MYI file.[/quote]

Given that I'm getting the missing "06draft.MYI" error, I'm kinda at a loss as to why this isn't working.

I have no idea. My suggestion would be to copy your table to a new table (with INSERT INTO...SELECT WHERE), then add back any indexes that you required from your original table, and then drop the original table. Obviously, after backing everything up.

Do these screenshots help whatsoever?

[img src=\"http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4509/picy8uk.jpg\" border=\"0\" alt=\"IPB Image\" /]

And this...

[img src=\"http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/8599/picx1dd.jpg\" border=\"0\" alt=\"IPB Image\" /]

Sorry if they're big.. but they just show up as "views." I'm guessing that won't help at all, but I thought it was worth a try.

It's funny that you say that... the reason I edited the post was just because I didn't feel it was relevant at all. I can't even remember what I posted.

I tried doing a lot of different things... I tried backing up the database into a text file hoping there would be just "raw" data, but it was completely empty.

You wanna hear the strangest part?

Today it randomly fixed itself. I honestly have no clue what happened... I like it, though!

Thanks, fenway, for your help. Any time I come here you always lend a helping hand. How this fixed itself I do not know (I checked last night and it wasn't working, but when I got off work tonight it was fine... maybe my host did something?), but it's a nice surprise... it saved me a lot of work!

I'm thinking maybe my host did something? I don't know what, though. I emailed them asking how I could get access to browse the area where the MYI files would be... they never replied, though.

Regardless, I've started doing the occasional backup of my databases so that if it DOES happen, I'll at least be somewhat protected.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.