8Baller.co.uk - Online Pool

TEENFRONT

Hey

I posted a critique on this site about a year ago, since then we have surpassed the 350,000 member sign ups mark and we continue growing (We regulary clean the db of old or unused accounts so our current stats say around 235,000 active members)

We have just released V4 of the site design, a nice new clean look and iv held back with the adverts, but adverts are a key part of the site, running this type of online gaming site costs alot, let alone game development.

Id love your critique on the new design, its very helpful to get other peoples views on a site design, when you have stared at it for the past few months you become abit biased. lol.

Looking forward to your comments, cheers

http://www.8baller.co.uk

The site gave me a sense of deja vu. I have certainly seen it somewhere, but anyway as there are milions of designs out there, no one can re-invent the wheel. Generally the site has a nice feel. It focuses the user's attention where it needs to be and tells him what he needs to know. The ads used are fair enough considering those are the site's budget, except in "3D Game Download" where there are 5 ads, way more then needed imo. Also i think ads should be placed in a smart way, in places where users may click. Meaning that when a users wants to contact u or read about advertising in your site, definitely he wont click on any ad.

The main critique i have about the design is the overall too rounded look. Generally i dont like rounded corners at all, but in some cases some small ones may look nice. In your design, u've abused with them. They are too rounded and tend to break a bit the symmetry. Appart that the site is nice.

Good luck.

Hey

tomfmason: That should be corrected, i had a script stopping proxy sites accessing our main site but it blocked innocent people too so its removed, you should get this issue any more.

GuiltyGear: Thanks for the review, Your right about the ad placement, i used a default page to make up the contact and advertising pages so left in the ads. Also on the download game page, yes il remove 2 ads. I kinda like the rounded look lol, as im sure you can tell. May thanks for taking the time out to write the review. Regarding the Deja-Vu feeling, this is 100% a unique design, of course it takes design cues from most cleanly styled sites, but its not copied and was created from the ground up.

ayok : the design has been tested in ff2, ff3, ie6, and ie7, i dont actually have opera to test with but il look at correctly the issue, however i feel it may be solved already due to me changing the text length last night.

Thanks for the help so far guys, any more comments , id love to hear :-)

Hey ayok...

Hmmmm... no idea why opera is been a bitch... Il look at fixing it but 0.2% of my sites traffic have opera, 71% has IE and 27% have FF, so its not affecting too many people lol. But of course its an issue that il look at resolving.

You're right. But this will bother my head all the time, if I'm the designer.

When I checked on ff, i notice that on opera the contact button is after the blank navigation bar. Well.. you can fix it later on.

Looks nice, but the I dont like sites with popups and firefox instantly blocked a popup when I visited.

also there are typo's on the site that make it look un-professional:

e.g.

8Baller.co.uk features an awesome online free multiplayer pool ans snooker game, letting you play  online pool

Yes the site does have pop unders. These a re very high paying and targeted to UK traffic only.

Nobody likes any forms of advertising but the site is 100% free to use and is used by thousands per day, running an online multiplayer game site like this is not cheap, consisting of 3 high spec dedicated servers. I need to recoup monies somehow :-)

Ah, yes il correct that spelling mistake. regarding the spelling mistake, i wasnt going for a "professional" look... im not a pro, the sites just a fun gaming site. i think id have preferred you saying that spelling mistakes just mean im lazy lol.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.