Updating PHP

I've installed XAMPP on our server to try out different kinds of software packages. I'm running into an error, and want to upgrade PHP to the newest version (the version on the server currently is 5.1.1). But there are a lot more files and folders in the current installation of PHP than are in the unzipped file I downloaded from php.net. How can I figure out which files in the current installation will work with the newer version of PHP? I don't even know where to start. I can't find any info anywhere describing the basic steps of how to update PHP. I assume that this is something people have to do on a regular basis, though, right?

If you have XAMPP then you'll want download the latest version of XAMPP rather than the standalone version of PHP. You can download the latest version of XAMPP [a href=\"http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html\" target=\"_blank\"]here[/a]

Also the server you have installed XAMPP on is it a live server? ie one that is accessible via the internet? If it is I would highligh recommend you to do a manual install of Apache, PHP and MySQL rathar than using packages like XAMPP. If you do an manual install it is easier to maintain and you dont have to wait for the next version of XAMPP in order upgrade PHP to latest version. In order to update php all you need to do is overwrite the current existing files and your version of PHP is updated!

Actually, yes, we're moving towards a live production situation (though we're not open to the Internet yet). Having read that XAMPP is only meant for development and not production, I wanted to move in that direction with our server setup. Is there a civilized way to transition from the XAMPP (or other packages like phpdev, WAMP, etc.) to understanding and managing all the elements independently, like you say?

Or will we have to start from scratch and get all the elements (MySQL, PHP, Apache, etc.) to work together on our own?

[!--quoteo(post=379329:date=Jun 2 2006, 10:16 AM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Jun 2 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]379329[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you have XAMPP then you'll want download the latest version of XAMPP rather than the standalone version of PHP. You can download the latest version of XAMPP [a href=\"http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html\" target=\"_blank\"]here[/a]

Also the server you have installed XAMPP on is it a live server? ie one that is accessible via the internet? If it is I would highligh recommend you to do a manual install of Apache, PHP and MySQL rathar than using packages like XAMPP. If you do an manual install it is easier to maintain and you dont have to wait for the next version of XAMPP in order upgrade PHP to latest version. In order to update php all you need to do is overwrite the current existing files and your version of PHP is updated!
[/quote]

There are plenty of books/articles out there that step you through setting up Apache, PHP and MySQL manually. However *unix based OS may be a bit harder to configure as you may need to download the source code for each application and then compile each app serperatly so they can be used.

However if its a Windows OS then its pretty simple to setup Apache, PHP and MySQL. Your server will be up and running within a few minutes if you correctly setup Apache and PHP.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.