work in progress,,

GBS

Hi to all,,

Just to have few advices,, if you could have a quick look on this:
[a href=\"http://bdmusique.free.fr/ocher/\" target=\"_blank\"]current work,,[/a]

I'd like you to say if you think the loading is fast enough for you, (not optimized yet for 56k modems), what you think about the design (quite simple, but suffisant ?), & also your comment about the navigation,...

I know, the site is not yet in english,... I will see that soon,, ;)

Thanks in advance,,

l8tr,

I'm on DSL and the delays are enormous - well over a minute for any page to be completed. There's got to be something wrong at the server end, because the content sure isn't THAT big.

Viewed with both IE and Firefox on a 1024px monitor and I have a horizontal scrollbar with both. Looks as though it needs about 1600px window to avoid the scroll, so clearly you need to re-think the layout.

English or not, I don't see an explanation of what it is anywhere. There's not enough text explaining what I'm looking at or what any of the pictures mean.

As with Andy, the load time was horrendous... on a normal broadband connection a picture with that content should be no problem, and even on dialup, it shouldn't take nearly as long as it did.

You should definately try to optomize the pics a little more and consider pre-loading more of the images in the background if possible.

I'd also suggest losing some of the borders because they suck and they're boring.

Nice concept, poor delivery.

Hi,,

AndyB,
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]There's got to be something wrong at the server end, because the content sure isn't THAT big.[/quote]
well,... the content is quite big,,...
about 1Mb for the images preloaded, and about 35ko for the script part,,... is it too much ? :s
& yep,, I will check the layout,,... tested in a big resolution & a big monitor there,,

Ober,,
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I don't see an explanation of what it is anywhere[/quote]
well, there are some few explanations,... I think you didn't catch them,,
to explain more, it's a domain/property to sell [not mine,, ;) ] & the domain description is done, with the houses, lands, etc...
also, the numbers on the pictures-map represents the houses (house n°1, n°2,...)
hmm,... your opinion about the borders,... is your,... I will let them for the moment,, :]

I've already optimized the pics (jpgs converted in gifs, taken less size),,... but it doesn't seem enough according to both of you,, :s

I'm sure I must optimize the load time,... don't know yet how would be the best way,...

To add,, this is a 'personal website', and it will be linked by some professionals imobilier websites, for some potential "buyers",, who know what they're searching for,...

Many thanks for both of your comments,,... fully appreciated,, ;)

l8tr,,

Put simply - the bottleneck is YOUR hosting.
As on [a href=\"http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/[/a]
your site is 156Kb. Although this is large - it should not take that long to load on my end here anyways.

Each of your Navigation Menu buttons are ~4Kb approx.
These can be done in CSS for free! - instead of using onmouse over etc.

As ober said - nice concept - needs improvement on the execution.
Get a better hosting company.

-steve

steviewdr,,
Thanks for the comment & the tips,,... & your link seems a nice one to get tips about site optimization,, ;)
okey, I've now removed the preloader part for the moment ~ which was preloading about 70 images (~700ko),... which is certainly a BIG too much,,... lloll.......
I guess I must reconsider my preload system,...
true,, I could change the buttons to CSS,,... but I'm afraid I couldn't get the same nice font rendering,,... I will think about it,...
The host company used is free, & maybe I should change it,... but as it is just for a personnal website,... don't know if it's really interesting to change the host,... I will see that with the property's owner,,

jcombs_31,,
maybe test it again, if you have some time... just because I've removed the preloading part,...
btw, what is your connection type,, ?

Thanks to all,

l8tr,,

Hi,,

steviewdr,,
few changes made: re-optimised gifs & jpg images, no-more graphic navigation buttons, legends are now in text, etc,,
Thanks for your idea about the gd lib,... it worked fine for the main 'logo',,, :)
But I haven't done it for the navigation buttons, because I guess the client will take the same time to download the images created from the server,...

hmm,... the script part is now quite 'special',... lol
javascript resizes the elements, images & the font-size 'on the fly',...
to test, try the site, and change your screen resolution (pray for your pc doesn't crash,... ;p )
I've changed that, because the rendering was not really nice under very high or very low screen resolutions, using classical % method for the CSS definitions,,
But the script is now more heavy,... don't know if it is a cool idea,,

Thanks for any comments & tips,,

l8tr,,

Hi,,

steviewdr,,
happy to hear this is now faster,, :)
thanks for the feedback,, ;)
for the elements resizing, just resize your screen resolution,...
the CSS is not made using %,... the page display is made with javascript, which calculate the position, the width, the fonts, depending of the screen resolution,

text descriptions & photos should be updated soon, will see that with the owners,,... & I must again optimised the code,,

If some get more comments/tips,,... but I think the 1st step-test is over for now,

l8tr,,

Hi,,

moberemk,
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]terrible idea to use Javascript for something like that[/quote]
hmm,, yes,... I'm testing/using js for the page layout,... & why not ? :)
It seems it does work,... & better then using CSS with '%', believe me,... test the site for check it,, & resize your screen resolution,,
result: no horizontal bars, fonts readables as the layout is mostly respected,... tested in 800x600 up to 1600x1024 px,...

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]It seems almost abusive and insulting to the language[/quote]
erf,... sounds like I'm hearing my old & *lovely* grand ma'... "don't melt the salt with the sugar in cook !"

Look the "Ajax language", as example,...
it's made of mostly old languages,... salt, sugar, & a few of pepper,... but mixed together, we get the fabulous Ajax system,,

I don't think I'm insulting the javascript language doing such a script,... I'm not telling you that I'm the new gbSAjax 3.7 builder too,... lol
Just testing some things,... maybe new for you (as it is for me),... but testing,... and it seems works quite fine,,...

l8tr,,

Okay, maybe I was being a little harsh on that. But it's just that Javascript isn't for that sort of display, CSS is. That's the entire point of having CSS and Javascript-one is for style, the other is to help power the style. It is way easier to develop and rebuild a CSS layout then it is a Javascript layout. Javascript and AJAX and all of those things are meant to supplement-no supplant-HTML and CSS, and using them like that really doesn't add anything.

after looking at the source code, i'm starting to wonder why you're using JS as well. i have never seen a page use that many lines of code to output a layout as simple as what you've got. how many lines are there? 400?

moberemk,,
I understand what you mean,,
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]one is for style, the other is to help power the style. It is way easier to develop and rebuild a CSS layout then it is a Javascript layout[/quote]
yes, you're right,... & sure,, CSS layout is easier to script then javascript layout,... but the position/size is more *precise* (am I speaking english?) using javascript,... my mind,,
I won't script that everydays, because it was quite difficult to have this result,... but I like the render, & the layout is respected, depending on the screen resolution, (again, none horizontal bar, fonts readable, etc...)

akitchin,
hmm, a LOT of lines,... & as you can see the source, a much more then 400,,,,, :p
the script is mostly important because of the layout position & resizing part,
the code before the changes was about 30kb,.. & it's now 80kb,... :s
but as I said,, > I must again optimised the code,, <
I need to do some specific functions for that part.

I don't know if I will keep that like it is,,... I must think again about it,

Thanks for your feedbacks, suggestions & comments,, (& sorry for my bad english)

l8tr,,

You do know that you can adjust your site for whatever resolution using CSS, right? That's why you have relative positioning and percentages instead of fixed values.

And what if someone comes to your site with Javascript turned off? What happens? I'll tell you... your site is completely unusable.

Ober,,
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]You do know that you can adjust your site for whatever resolution using CSS, right? That's why you have relative positioning and percentages instead of fixed values.[/quote]
Yes, I do know that,... but results was not the one expected using very high & very low screen resolutions.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]your site is completely unusable[/quote]
true,... & I've read somewhere that about 10% of clients are disabling javascript,...

Listening all of your comments, I think now it wasn't a good idea,... so, I should change that in few days, changing also the navigation (which is also in js),...

Thanks again to all,,
l8tr,,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Okey,, I've done many attempts just using CSS with relative/absolute/fixed attributes, and using % or px as unit,... & get still quite disapointed about the layout results on very high & very low screen resolutions.
So, I've made few changes,,

The mainpage checks now if javascript is enabled or not, and if not, the layout is made with CSS and the navigation is then made with iframes.
If js is enabled, then it loads the 'normal page', using js to resize/position elements.

Not sure if it is the best, but,... that's the idea for the moment,,...

Thanks for any comments/tips in advance,

l8tr,,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.